Diesel DPF filters

i have a 10 year old diesel car and its been brill.

But i now want to buy a new one and they have the dpf filter now - i know all about them and just wondered if anyone had experience of them?

for example if you just do 3-4 miles a day in the week town driving how long would it be before the warning light came on to tell me the car needed a good run to regenerate the filter?

Dont want to get one only to find the light is always on and i have to take it out just to clear the filter

Thanks everyone

But i now want to buy a new one and they have the dpf filter now - i know all about them and just wondered if anyone had experience of them?

for example if you just do 3-4 miles a day in the week town driving how long would it be before the warning light came on to tell me the car needed a good run to regenerate the filter?

Dont want to get one only to find the light is always on and i have to take it out just to clear the filter

Thanks everyone

I think it would clog quite quickly. A small petrol would be a better bet or maybe even a Prius.

Thanks everyone

Diesels aren't very good for nipping in and out on 2-3 mile trips. The DPF will get clogged up quiet quickly. To clear the DPF the car needs to be run at 60+mph for minimum of 20mins every so often. This will get the engine hot enough to burn up the pollutants in the filter.

However new diesels as of 1-2 year old have a DPF cleaner built in, all this means car vehicle will rev its nuts off to clean itself. This can happen stood in traffic or trotting around.

If your only going to tot about town then get a petrol.

3 to 4 miles a day in town traffic is not ideal, especially in cold weather. You will not get the temperatures to burn off the soot in the filter. You can soot load the filter in around 40 miles. If you are only doing very short journeys then an efficient petrol might be a better idea.

Thanks everyone

DPF filters are very expensive and cant be cleaned or taken out by joe bloggs efficiently, once its clogged even by doing a 20 mins motorway stint at high revs (old wives tale), believe me i tried, my 5 series BMW has just had to have a new one luckily my warranty covered it..£1200 plus fitting

I know PSA cars can have the DPF removed and disbaled in the ECU, I have done a few myself. I think the same can be said about VAG cars although I dont have any experience of these with DPF fitted. I dont believe DPF are required for an MOT. What car were you thinking of buying?

Archived