Diesel DPF filters

hi, yes dpf is a real pain, some cars have the dpf built in with the catalytic convertor, plenty of people about now who map them out, i myself have had to fix jobs that have been botched by so called reputable tuners. most use volta or ecu safe which is not the right way to remove the filter from the cars eeprom, it has to be done manually data string by data string. thats the proper way to do it. vag group cars especially the 170hp diesels with the siemens injection system suffer the most from this. if it clogs just gut the filter leave the sensors in place and map it out. around 300 quid n no more problems. go for it mate. shouldnt put you off buying a new car. lets face it ,they all cost money to run in the end.

i have a 10 year old diesel car and its been brill.

But i now want to buy a new one and they have the dpf filter now - i know all about them and just wondered if anyone had experience of them?

for example if you just do 3-4 miles a day in the week town driving how long would it be before the warning light came on to tell me the car needed a good run to regenerate the filter?

Dont want to get one only to find the light is always on and i have to take it out just to clear the filter

Thanks everyone

I'm in a similar situation. I have an 04 diesel and it is great - so much more drive-able with the extra torque. However, any diesel after 08 will have a DPF fitted and wouldn't really be suitable for my journey type.

Some of the newer petrol engines in the VAG group now have diesel like economy. 1.2 litre engine with 105 bhp and about 175 Nm torque. 1.4 litre with more torque than my current 2.0 HDi and better economy - oh, and better performance.

DPFs are only fitted to cars of a certain engine size and BHP.

Its perfectly feasible to get a modern diesel without one. For example, anything around 90BHP or less.

However, that doesn't mean the car will run fault free - all that crud has to go somewhere and that usually means the EGR valve which will become gummed up.

Incidentally, the car doesn't have to be run at 60mph for a period of time. Most cars will do the regeneration when parked. However, this puts more of a strain on the glow plugs, glow plug heater relays, cooling fan and cooling fan relays and wiring loom.

I know it has been said, but a diesel won't have any better economy if you are only doing 3 or 4 miles per day, they cost more to buy and diesel is more expensive plus they are more likely to go wrong with DPF issues and DMFs.

Go for a small petrol as it will be cheaper to by, cheaper tax, and cheaper to fix.

Archived