Hadfield Terrace(Walkley)

I was born on Hadfield Terrace but sadly don't have any photos of it,nor can I find any.

Does anyone who was from Walkley(pre 1968) remember Hadfield Terrace.Even numbers were 2 to 16 (top row) and odd numbers 1 to 15 bottom row.I was born in no 12 and moved to no 9 (my grandparents lived in no 9 but moved to Palm Street in 1957)so we took their house over(must have been better than ours lol)

Hi Hillsbro :)

That link is brilliant,thanks so much.I knew all the ones on the odd numbers,but not all on the even side.My dad was on both number 12 an 9,and my grandads name was on number 9 1954.:)

Just out of interest how did you find the link.is it possible to find all other Sheffield streets that way? The reason I ask is my OH was brought up at Allerton Road,Sheffield 9 which is just of Staniforth Road.Sadly the houses have been replaced with council bungalows now.

...Just out of interest how did you find the link.is it possible to find all other Sheffield streets that way? The reason I ask is my OH was brought up at Allerton Road,Sheffield 9 which is just of Staniforth Road.Sadly the houses have been replaced with council bungalows now.
Hi - Kelly's directories can be found in the Local Studies Library (Surrey Street) but I also have a number of them. Unfortunately the occupants of back-to-back or "court" houses were often not listed, and this seems to be the case with Allerton Road, as the only directory I have that includes the street is the 1925 one. But the Library will also have electoral rolls, which list everyone of voting age..:)

i know hadfield street,but were was hadfield terrace

Hadfield Terrace was near the bottom r/h side near Walkley Street.It comprised of two rows of terraced houses which ran off Hadfield Street at right angles.The top row was the even numbers 2 to 16 and the bottom row was odd number 1 to 15.Both rows had communal back yards with an outside toilet block.On the other side they all had small gardens, in-between the rows of gardens was a cobbled pathway.We moved out Easter 1968 and I think they were demolished not long after,There are council houses there now.

I have tried many times to find photos but to no avail.

---------- Post added 05-03-2013 at 22:49 ----------

Hi - Kelly's directories can be found in the Local Studies Library (Surrey Street) but I also have a number of them. Unfortunately the occupants of back-to-back or "court" houses were often not listed, and this seems to be the case with Allerton Road, as the only directory I have that includes the street is the 1925 one. But the Library will also have electoral rolls, which list everyone of voting age..:)

Thanks for that,all I know is my OH and her family lived there in the 1950's and early 1960's.

---------- Post added 06-03-2013 at 18:51 ----------

i know hadfield street,but were was hadfield terrace

Most people never knew that Hadfield Terrace even existed and most of the tenants on the list that Hillsbro kindly posted are now dead,those that aren't will no doubt have moved away from Walkey.

I have tried for years to find photos of our old houses with no luck.The properties which were just below Hadfield Terrace,directly on Hadfield Street were a block of 3 back to back houses.3 had entrances on Hadfield Street and the rear 3 were accessed down a passage.The very last property on the corner of Hadfield Street and Walkley Street use to be a fruit and veg shop.Across the other side of Walkey Street at the top of Burgoyne Road was part of Bottomleys plasterers,the other corner was Mooneys shop,which was a bit like Arkwrights in the TV programme open all hours,they sold everything :D

Archived