Remember Geisha Cafe, Chapel Walk

B Fox

Its old-style window was revealed recently during alterations and the memories came flooding back. In the window were Oriental tea jars, inside were bentwood chairs and little round tables. Food came from the basement via a 'dumb waiter', the waitress had to pull it up on ropes. This was in the late 1950s/ early '60s.They served things like beans on toast and poached eggs. Memories please!....

• 2 weeks later...

Oh- YES! I posted about the Geisha some years ago on here but no response. I loved that little tea shop - My Mum used to take me there - usually before I was going in to Sheffield Children's Hospital for an extended stay. I remember the wonderful toasted tea cakes, smothered in butter. Also remember the little dumb waiter that used to bring things from the kitchen. I've looked for the location a couple of times on my infrequent trips to to Sheffield but could never find any sign of it.

It was gorgeous.

Its old-style window was revealed recently during alterations and the memories came flooding back. In the window were Oriental tea jars, inside were bentwood chairs and little round tables. Food came from the basement via a 'dumb waiter', the waitress had to pull it up on ropes. This was in the late 1950s/ early '60s.They served things like beans on toast and poached eggs. Memories please!....

So what's the current status? Apart from the tea cakes (with currants) I remember it had an oriental flavour (so hence the tea jars) and that included a tea service with an oriental influence. Does anyone know when it closed?

Archived