Anyone else making sacrifices?

I had a discussion with my neighbour today and we got talking about life in general.

I was surprised when she told me that she saves money on her energy and water bill by taking her shower in the gym. I never realised that people had to resort to that to save money.

Anyone else having to make such sacrifices or heard of others that people have had to make in order to save money?

That is just common sense if you think about it. Not only is it encouraging her to go to the gym which will improve her health (assuming she is training and not just showering), but she saves a bit of money on her household bills too.

She cant really be making sacrifices otherwise she would not have a gym membership in the first place. I bet she spends more on the gym and traveling to the gym than she does on her gas and water bill.

The sad thing is we cant win can we?

Money is tight for most people these days, bills are getting higher and higher, wages are staying the same.

So people start to cut back. We spend less on food, conserve water and electricity. Then what happens?

Overall consumption is down, so the utility companies put the price up to maintain their profits, and bills continue to get more expensive.

Meanwhile the government thinks of more and more things they can take away from us and more ways of taxing us for daring to exist and try and lead a happy life. We cant drink we cant smoke we cant drive... soon there will be a tax on oxygen.

Money is tight for most people these days, bills are getting higher and higher, wages are staying the same.

So people start to cut back. We spend less on food, conserve water and electricity. Then what happens?

Overall consumption is down, so the utility companies put the price up to maintain their profits, and bills continue to get more expensive.

Meanwhile the government thinks of more and more things they can take away from us and more ways of taxing us for daring to exist and try and lead a happy life. We cant drink we cant smoke we cant drive... soon there will be a tax on oxygen.

Totally agree with this, if things were cheaper more people would buy them.

We've cut down on meat. Cut down on alcohol. Got rid of subscription TV. Done some haggling with the electricity company to get the monthly direct debit down. Missed a couple of holidays. Not bought a new car - trying to keep existing 10 year one on the road as long as possible. Heating on as little as possible with thermostats set to 15C. I'm worried the company I work for could go under so not making any big purchases. House needs a bit doing to it - all deferred while we wait to see what happens. Never cut down like this before - if the economy was in better shape it'd be different but having only ever been out of work/higher education for 4 weeks in almost 30 years I'm not convinced picking up new roles is going to be easy in this climate. So saving as much as possible for when that rainy day comes. I think a lot of people are probably doing similar.

Its always the drinkers ,smokers and Drivers who are hammered the most. Its hardly suprising that a lot of smokers( myself included) buy "Knock Off " cigs and Tobacco at less than half the retail price , stay in and buy cheap booze from the supermarkets who sell it as a loss leader to get customers into the stores ,and mix their Diesel with Red Diesel( or run 100% Cherry) which again is less than half the price of White Diesel bought at the pumps.

Archived