Anyone else making sacrifices?

Cancelled as many direct debits as I could including Westfield, a regular savings thing, and a couple of charities (their CEOs were on over £100,000 - I'll give to local charities in future.) Got a pay as you go phone, cut down on waste food - I find recipes to use up leftovers etc. Also cut down on food like meat. I'm selling a lot of surplus stuff like clothes on ebay and going to do a car boot or two when weather gets warmer.

I don't mind, we've always been careful with stuff like electricity and shopping, but it's hard to make extra savings.

Its always the drinkers ,smokers and Drivers who are hammered the most. Its hardly suprising that a lot of smokers( myself included) buy "Knock Off " cigs and Tobacco at less than half the retail price , stay in and buy cheap booze from the supermarkets who sell it as a loss leader to get customers into the stores ,and mix their Diesel with Red Diesel( or run 100% Cherry) which again is less than half the price of White Diesel bought at the pumps.

Easy to hit. The demand for what they need is insatiable. Dream target for taxes.

Easy to hit. The demand for what they need is insatiable. Dream target for taxes.

Oh i agree .............. thats why (as in the case of smokers) cheaper , non taxed alternatives are being bought instead of grossly overpriced legit ones in the shops.And the same will follow where Diesel is concerned ,as there is a far cheaper alternative out there which can be purchased easily.

What i can never understand is why people see "saving" money as a thing of desperation,

I regularly change power providers,renegotiate my phone an tv packages,i've had a water meter installed and saved £24 a month.

I could afford to pay the original prices,but why should I.

I waste as little food as i see necessary because we were wasteful and it annoyed me.

I find threads like this (while worthy) to be a little sad, is this the future for most of us in one of the richest countries in the world, one which is supposed to set the lead for others to follow.

People having to shower at the gym and eat leftovers while British Gas hands out £500m to shareholders, what a terrible, terrible indictment of how we are expected to live.

How can things make an upturn if the majority cannot afford to spend?

Although I've cut back on unnecessary costs, Go to more restaurants than ever. Eat the best I can afford.

Put 2 stone on since recession. I'll be going to Spain and Brazil in next few months too.

My attitude is I won't be dictated too by this govt. Whether to enjoy life or not!

On deathbed you'll only regret the things you didn't do.

I find threads like this (while worthy) to be a little sad, is this the future for most of us in one of the richest countries in the world, one which is supposed to set the lead for others to follow.

People having to shower at the gym and eat leftovers while British Gas hands out £500m to shareholders, what a terrible, terrible indictment of how we are expected to live.

How can things make an upturn if the majority cannot afford to spend?

A new system of Goverment is needed.

One where the leaders have lived in the real World , not the public school boys who are in charge now.

Archived