Anyone else making sacrifices?

Unnecessary costs:

An expensive gym membership. Run round block instead.

Quilted toilet roll and branded toileteries. get lidl stuff.

Full price clothes. Get to tk maxx or a designer outlet.

Renogotiate direct debits or debts.

Switch lights and heating off, where possible.

The recession is a good excuse to plead poverty. Large companies make excuses to put up prices. Just turn the table.

What i can never understand is why people see "saving" money as a thing of desperation,

I regularly change power providers,renegotiate my phone an tv packages,i've had a water meter installed and saved £24 a month.

I could afford to pay the original prices,but why should I.

I waste as little food as i see necessary because we were wasteful and it annoyed me.

Another good money saver ,and one i take advantage of is transfering the balance on my credit cards to a new credit card with interest free for 12 month offers. This way i save a years worth of interest payments , then when the 12 mths is up , i just take out a new credit card with another company offering the same 12 mths interest free on balance transfers. You can do this every year .

Another good money saver ,and one i take advantage of is transfering the balance on my credit cards to a new credit card with interest free for 12 month offers. This way i save a years worth of interest payments , then when the 12 mths is up , i just take out a new credit card with another company offering the same 12 mths interest free on balance transfers. You can do this every year .

I do this as well but if you end up with too many unused credit cards it can have an adverse affect on your credit rating, you need to cancel each card as you have finished with (not always easy).

Good tip. Another is switching accounts.

I've had air miles, money and a years office space from shopping around.

---------- Post added 06-03-2013 at 09:54 ----------

Another thing i did was clearing overdraft. Just that alone can save a few bob.

---------- Post added 06-03-2013 at 09:57 ----------

Another if you like to eat out but don't want to pay top whack is vouchers.

Good if you have family bdays too, save heaps.

What i can never understand is why people see "saving" money as a thing of desperation,

I regularly change power providers,renegotiate my phone an tv packages,i've had a water meter installed and saved £24 a month.

I waste as little food as i see necessary because we were wasteful and it annoyed me.

Excellent post. I think over time people's extravagances become necessities and they don't realise.

Food waste is a popular matter at the minute because so much is wasted, according to news reports.

I was speaking to someone the other day who was slating the government and pleading poverty, yet they had a fairly new large convertible car, regular mobile phone upgrades on silly priced contracts, and a house full of modern electrical gadgetry, leave all the house lights on, not to mention regular trips out at weekends and frequent takeaways.

I hate to use the old "when I were a lad" line but when I was, a takeaway was a special occasion, a day trip to the seaside only once or twice a year. The priority was that the bills were paid, there was food on the table, and a little was put aside.

And does anyone bother to do the household accounts these days? This thread staggers me.

People no longer save for a rainy day or live within their means, and when their means are stressed they flap and panic.

I agree, but what can these people do to save money when they still can't manage?

I agree, but what can these people do to save money when they still can't manage?

It's tough for a lot of people.

But also there's a raft of people pleading 'skint', then you find out they pay for sky tv subscriptions and all manner of unnecessary expenses.

They are not 'skint' they just can't indulge in rampant consumerism and expect to to be affluent.

---------- Post added 06-03-2013 at 13:02 ----------

Excellent post. I think over time people's extravagances become necessities and they don't realise.

Food waste is a popular matter at the minute because so much is wasted, according to news reports.

I was speaking to someone the other day who was slating the government and pleading poverty, yet they had a fairly new large convertible car, regular mobile phone upgrades on silly priced contracts, and a house full of modern electrical gadgetry, leave all the house lights on, not to mention regular trips out at weekends and frequent takeaways.

I hate to use the old "when I were a lad" line but when I was, a takeaway was a special occasion, a day trip to the seaside only once or twice a year. The priority was that the bills were paid, there was food on the table, and a little was put aside.

And does anyone bother to do the household accounts these days? This thread staggers me.

People no longer save for a rainy day or live within their means, and when their means are stressed they flap and panic.

Food waste is a terrible shame. Families having to go to foodbanks when Tesco and other supermarkets discard billions of tonnes of perfectly good food every year.

Perhaps you need to clarify manage.

I'm probably in a better condition than loads of people but i still find on occasional months i run out of money before i run out of bills.Most months i spend the last week anticipating pay day,and that's a decision we took voluntarily to get a better work/life balance.

I can't spare any cash to save at all - but in reality i can IF i stop doing the things i enjoy. So i'd be saving for stuff that may not happen whilst missing out on life in general.

Perhaps you need to clarify manage.

I'm probably in a better condition than loads of people but i still find on occasional months i run out of money before i run out of bills.Most months i spend the last week anticipating pay day,and that's a decision we took voluntarily to get a better work/life balance.

I can't spare any cash to save at all - but in reality i can IF i stop doing the things i enjoy. So i'd be saving for stuff that may not happen whilst missing out on life in general.

Same as you.

But people seem to want everything - to save, pay bills, go on nice holidays and have the best of everything.

It doesn't work like that in most cases.

Archived