Fog and speeding

It seems there are an awful number of drivers out there who believe lights are only fitted to cars to enable them to see where they are going :loopy:

Probably the same people who never use their indicators :roll:

Even when its only twilight, it's so much easier to see a car with its headlights on than without.

As an "elderly" driver (and shock horror FEMALE ASWELL) i can assure you that i WAS driving with lights on plus rear fog light this morning and counted at least 8 drivers without any lights

Could you easily see the car in front?

You could also see loads of other cars with no lights on.

Doesn't that tell you something? Perhaps the other cars can also see you?

SO TURN YOUR BLOODY FOG LIGHT OFF.

TBH I've done this and I found I was able to see better, the headlamps just seemed to scatter and created more of a hindrance to vision by them being refracted by the fog.

Having your lights on is just as much to do if not more so with other motorist seeing you.

The roads I went on (admittedly only up to 50mph limit roads) over the previous 2 days certainly didn't come close to justifying fog lights. Normal lights, certainly, but not fogs. The rear fog lights are much too bright if its not foggy.

I think an easy way to check is to look at the rear of a few other cars. Can you see them early enough when they just have normal rear lights? If so, then others will be able to see you with just normal rear lights on. In these circumstances, don't turn your fogs on, they are too bright.

Is it not on the indicator stalk?

This pic is supposedly from a 97-04 Avensis:

$(KGrHqN,!jEE2n(iTLozBNtq4)CFGw~~_12.JPG

This 99-05:

$(KGrHqF,!lEE-j2UWj4YBPriQ20uIg~~60_12.JPG

You were right (of course), they are in the indicator stick!...Of course most of the time, the 'stick' is obscured by the centre crossmembers of the steering wheel. Never had occasion to use them before, but where I was the other day it was a real pea-souper.

Having your lights on is just as much to do if not more so with other motorist seeing you.

I did have lights on, I didn't just drive with sidelights, I had both front and rear fogs on, both of which are brighter that headlights (65w front/21w rear for fog versus 55w/5w (F/R) head/tail-lights.

The reason, as I already stated, was because my headlights were just scattering in the fog, creating just a white wall of light which I was unable to see beyond a metre in front of my car. Turning the dipped beam off massively improved and therefore was safer for both myself AND those around me

Well I know down our road it was definitely definitely less than 100 metres. Once we had gone up our hill though it wasn't so bad but still warranted low beams as we had people even just with side lights jumping out on us and could not see the car in front. City centre was absolutely fine and there was no need whatsoever.

Once again I would like to remind the ignorant about what fog lights are for. I drove right across the city after dawn this morning and was dazzled all the way with idiots with fog lights on.

Nowhere was the visibility bad enough for the legal requirement for the use of fog lights.

The legal requirement for foglights is visibility less than 100 metres.

That is a serious pea soup condition, not what we had today.

It is about time the police started issuing £80 fines for the ignorant car drivers.

What is the Legal Requirement to writing in bold. OUCH!:gag::hihi:

Archived