Fog and speeding

I was thinking the other day about the late 80's when dim-dip technology was introduced (preventing side light driving by switching on dipped beam at half voltage?).

Why this was discontinued?

Some people drive around on sidelights that are very poor, yet I find bright headlight make it harder to see detail, that might just be a cyclist or a driver that doesnt think its dark enough for headlight yet.

We should all light up, at the same time, but when is the right time to light up?

I was thinking the other day about the late 80's when dim-dip technology was introduced (preventing side light driving by switching on dipped beam at half voltage?).

Why this was discontinued?

Some people drive around on sidelights that are very poor, yet I find bright headlight make it harder to see detail, that might just be a cyclist or a driver that doesnt think its dark enough for headlight yet.

We should all light up, at the same time, but when is the right time to light up?

Lighting up times is a tricky one. Technically, its from dusk till dawn as a general rule but we all know that in the UK, if the weather is poor.. midday in June could warrant lighting up.

I remember some flirtation with UV bulbs some time ago. These bulbs worked in tandem with ordinary headlights and although they did not make ordinary lighting any brighter, they illuminated pedestrians and the like very well as the UV light 'lit up' clothing in the same manner as they did in nightclubs, making material like Denim virtually 'dayglo'.

I wonder why they stopped with that one too?

It could be hammering it down in a summer storm?

I don't see any problem with lighting up when the weather is poor or it starts to get dark.

If it's just dip beam headlights then it helps to see the car and it doesn't dazzle other people.

It could be hammering it down in a summer storm?

I don't see any problem with lighting up when the weather is poor or it starts to get dark.

There should be (perhaps there is?) different rules for the motorway, and main roads. Being very overcast does not reduce visibility down to 100mtrs, very heavy rain or fog can tho.

The official hours of night time when you must have lights on are half an hour after sunset until half and hour before dawn.

Rule 113 states you MUST have lights on at night and when visibility is seriously reduced.

Rule 115 says:

You should also

use dipped headlights, or dim-dip if fitted, at night in built-up areas and in dull daytime weather, to ensure that you can be seen

So it's a good idea to use them in the day time. Indeed it's the law in France to use them during the winter at all times of day, and in Italy you must have lights on when using the motorway even in bright sunlight in July.

Archived