Anyone know anything about 'blue glass' vases / ornaments etc?

I've been a sort of 'passive' collector of blue glass ornaments, vases, and paperweights for many years. You know the colour it's a deep cobalt blue. I don't buy new, it's always from antique fayres, sometimes bootsales or occasionally from a charity shop. I'm quite particular that the colour has to be right, and it has to 'appeal' to me. I like some, and don't like others. They have to be in as near perfect condition as possible (nothing chipped or repaired).

I suppose in total, I've got around 30 to 40 pieces in some form or another. Everything from quite large ones to tiny single rose type ones.

I don't pay a huge amount of money for them, cos it's not the value as much as the aesthetic appeal (for me) that makes me 'want' them. However, having said that. Information in regard to the value of them is pretty scant. For one thing they are rarely marked in any way shape or form, so could be made by anyone, anywhere and at any time.

It just makes me wonder sometimes, if I have by some fluke picked up something that is valuable.

here's a link to a picture just to give you an idea of the colour and type of glass. https://dl.dropbox.com/u/101384613/Console%20Table.jpg

One way to get an idea of the value is to go onto ebay Advanced Search. Choose ''Completed Lists'' Option & see if you can spot anything that looks like yours. Do any of the glass objects have a rough 'knub' in the centre? That usually means it has been hand blown & has age/quality to it. Also look for scratches on their bottoms which can mean there's some age to them as well. Get hold of a decent magnifier. Sometimes makers marks are difficult to see on some pieces. Can you tell if any are hand painted? While you're in the Charity Shops....see if you can get hold of a Millers Guide to Antiques/collectibles that covers your collection. They're really useful reference books. Antique paperweights can be surprisingly valuable & the old ones are quite often mistaken for the newer types....so take a good look at them. You might be sitting on a sleeper or two if you're lucky!

One way to get an idea of the value is to go onto ebay Advanced Search. Choose ''Completed Lists'' Option & see if you can spot anything that looks like yours. Do any of the glass objects have a rough 'knub' in the centre? That usually means it has been hand blown & has age/quality to it. Also look for scratches on their bottoms which can mean there's some age to them as well. Get hold of a decent magnifier. Sometimes makers marks are difficult to see on some pieces. Can you tell if any are hand painted? While you're in the Charity Shops....see if you can get hold of a Millers Guide to Antiques/collectibles that covers your collection. They're really useful reference books. Antique paperweights can be surprisingly valuable & the old ones are quite often mistaken for the newer types....so take a good look at them. You might be sitting on a sleeper or two if you're lucky!

Thanks for the tips. I've tried ebay, and most of the time searching for blue glass brings up oddball things that don't even remotely relate to it. Mainly jewellery and things like that. But I'll have another 'bash'. I do have some that are plainly hand painted with various flowers etc. I don't really 'go' for those too much to be honest, but if the shape and quality appeals to me, and of course the price, then I'll get it.

I'm pretty sure, a lot of the ones I've got do have a bit of a 'pip' in the bottom indicating that they're hand made. Some also have flat ground edges around the tops, which in my mind, is a sign of quality.

I always try to look and see if there's any makers marks or otherwise on them, but sadly, I don't think any of them have. I have checked.

Also, I've been collecting them for many years. Long before they were generally available as 'new' pieces. So I may well have as you say, some 'sleepers'. :)

---------- Post added 07-03-2013 at 09:32 ----------

I don't know anything about your blue vases (quite nice), but I've got a coffee table in the same pattern and colour as the one in the photo.

Great minds think alike eh?...:)

Archived