Never give your money to Charities.

Should we now stop donating our money to most organised charities?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Should we now stop donating our money to most organised charities?

I used to work for an "outsourcing" company. Big, well known charities used to outsource their appeals to us. We would send out the begging letters, free pens, etc, then count the money. We made much more out of it than the so-called charities. Many charities are now little more than big business, with big overheads, and a pittance going to the "good cause" which justifies its charitable, and therefore tax-free, status. Why was Branson so interested in running the national lottery? He is a businessman and it was to make money! Look at Camelot's profits!

I wasn't aware that the National Lottery was a charity?

It may give some proceeds TO charity, but it's not in itself a registered charity.

Speaking of which, there is quite a big kick off at the moment about some charities participation in the Workfare programme.

What are opinions here about that?

Do you mean the DWP contracted work program and work choice provider called Wise Ability?

http://www.wiseability.co.uk/

To me it seems odd that a charity is doing this sort of work and yet gives no charitable donations back to the people. So just what do they do with the money?

I used to work for an "outsourcing" company. Big, well known charities used to outsource their appeals to us. We would send out the begging letters, free pens, etc, then count the money. We made much more out of it than the so-called charities. Many charities are now little more than big business, with big overheads, and a pittance going to the "good cause" which justifies its charitable, and therefore tax-free, status.

Well name and shame then show us their accounts.

http://www.charity-commission.gov.uk/showcharity/registerofcharities/registerhomepage.aspx?&=&

Or make a complaint;

http://www.charity-commission.gov.uk/About_us/Complaining/Complaint_about_a_charity_index.aspx

BTW - what is your understanding of a charities "tax free status"? Charities have to pay VAT on all purchases, pay employers NI for employees. All surplus has to be re-invested in the charity (ie. no taxable profit).

I used to work for an "outsourcing" company. Big, well known charities used to outsource their appeals to us. We would send out the begging letters, free pens, etc, then count the money. We made much more out of it than the so-called charities.

Well name and shame then show us their accounts.

Unfortunately, it is within the rules. I made a complaint some time back after noticing on one of those charity collection bags that came through the door how much they actually give to the charity. I forget now, but it was 10% or less than the scrap value.

---------- Post added 10-03-2013 at 10:31 ----------

The level of unemployment allowances should be set so that people want to work.

The system should simply be that people are better of working than not working.

Very often that is not the case.

Most charities especially the bigger ones have forgotten their way.

What is wrong making sure your money is really helping people?

Why do you all trust any of these organisations to use the money for the purposes they claim? There's way too many examples of charities blowing the funds on so called 'administrative and runing costs'

Oxfam spends around 10% of its income on administration. They do need to run the organisation you know..

Your claims are scurrilous, without foundation and an insult to the hundreds of thousands of people who work in the charitable/third sector.

Speaking of which, there is quite a big kick off at the moment about some charities participation in the Workfare programme.

What are opinions here about that?

Do you mean the DWP contracted work program and work choice provider called Wise Ability?

I was thinking of the British Heart Foundation, Sue Ryder, and others who have recently withdrawn from the scheme under pressure from protesters.

Charity is a very sensitive issue, and we must all tread carefully. The last thing that I would wish to do is to offend someone who collects for a cancer charity or Help For Heroes.

However, it does seem ironic that an elderly lady who lost her husband to cancer spends her Saturdays clutching a collecting tin outside John Lewis, only for the proceeds to be spent on research that is simply handed over to a multinational pharmaceutical company, who avoids paying its taxes and charges exorbitent amounts for the therapies it then develops.

It seems outrageous that a young man or woman can sign up to defend queen and country and undertake a tour of duty in Helmand Province, only to have to rely on charity should they be injured in the line of duty.

Charity could be construed as a tax on the sensitive!

African states lose approximately 15 times the amount that they receive in aid as a result of corporate tax avoidance. HM revenue and Customs loses somewhere between £90,000,000,000, (that's ninety thousand million pounds) and £140,000,000,000 (one hundred and forty thousand million pounds) each year here in the UK due to government structured tax arrangements that favour the corporate sector.

Meanwhile, for example, The British Red Cross Society is seeking charitable donations to fill the gaps left by cuts to the health budget. Mr Cameron's big society is nothing but a wheeze - 'let the poor look after themselves while we privatise, deregulate and offshore our millions' he says to his cronies.

green web

worked for a charity for a year and made a considerable amount of money for them.the amount the administers spent on expenses shocked me,it included many boozy dinners when they met me to hand over the money.so i agree with you.ireckon the charity got about 40% of money

is 40% better than nothing?

Oxfam spends around 10% of its income on administration. They do need to run the organisation you know..

Your claims are scurrilous, without foundation and an insult to the hundreds of thousands of people who work in the charitable/third sector.

The big corporate charities and the hundreds of thousands of good honest people they scam are insulting, myself and others are just stating how it is.

Charity is a very sensitive issue, and we must all tread carefully. The last thing that I would wish to do is to offend someone who collects for a cancer charity or Help For Heroes...

It seems outrageous that a young man or woman can sign up to defend queen and country and undertake a tour of duty in Helmand Province, only to have to rely on charity should they be injured in the line of duty.

Even more outrageous when the charity is subsidising MOD building projects.

Archived