Skoda Cars - Any Thoughts?

My last car was a Skoda Fabia 1.6 estate. It had relatively few toys compared with many modern cars and could be seen as having less expensive trims but it was very straightforward, comfortable and pleasurable to drive and the only things that ever needed attention in the time that I owned it (other than routine new tyres and a repair when someone else reversed into it whilst it was parked) were adjusting the handbrake cable and tightening up a nut in the hinge for the driver's door.

My last car was a Skoda Fabia 1.6 estate. It had relatively few toys compared with many modern cars and could be seen as having less expensive trims but it was very straightforward, comfortable and pleasurable to drive and the only things that ever needed attention in the time that I owned it (other than routine new tyres and a repair when someone else reversed into it whilst it was parked) were adjusting the handbrake cable and tightening up a nut in the hinge for the driver's door.

A far better way of saying 'plasticky' ;)

My firm have BMW, Mercedes, Volvo, Honda, Fiat and mostly Skoda. They have run Octavias and Fabias for years.

They have proved to be very reliable to the extent that the MD has swapped his Volvo for a Superb this year.

Hope this helps.

What were the problems? What engine and how old?

I'm looking at a Skoda for my next car. Looking at the newer 140 PS 1.4 petrol engine in an Octavia.

It was 12 years old, but had just under 54 000 miles on the clock and the engine was 1397cc.

The door locks continually jammed and the central locking eventually stopped working despite being fixed at great cost by the dealer. The locks wouldn't even open with the key.

The bonnet catch wouldn't always open in cold weather and if it did it often wouldn't close again.

The trim on the roof came loose and eventually detached completely.

The boot catch was temperamental.

The breaks failed several times.

I also felt it had a few design faults, like, you had to open the drivers door to get to the boot catch and the lever that operated the drivers seat (forward and backward) caught in my trousers several times causing a few awkward moments.

There were several other faults, but I'll write those off as wear and tear.

Oh yes, and it only had a tape deck in it that didn't have auto reverse. I thought that was a bit primitive for a 21st centuary car.

My day job I'm a driver and I've delivered a couple of Skoda Superb elegance cars up and down the country, by far one of the best cars I've driven, comfort and drive is excellent not sure on the other models but if the above is anything to go by then I would say go for it, oh and the build quality was great too.

Archived