Mobile phone and paypal scams

I recently decided to sell my mobile phone on Gumtree, and within two days I had two people seperately try to get me to send the phone -which they paid for via paypal- to send to relatives (the US and London respectively) as 'a gift'.

But, the one buyer i chose demanded tracking numbers and specified Royal Mail. I also received "paypal" emails confirming the transaction number and also to send it asap!

Looking back, I was quite naiive even though I didn't fully trust the entire thing, and agreed to sell, as paypal was involved. I emailed paypal to confirm this and they replied that payment would be released upon tracking number?

But in the end, after asking a relative, I cancelled the deal, told the buyer that I had done so, would email gumtree/paypal and would block his emails.

Has anyone else had this and did I do right?

Sounds to me like, yes you did do it right. It sounds to me definitely 'dodgy'. You didn't send the phone...so a lucky escape I'd say.

For me, if someone was paying me via paypal, I wouldn't send anything until paypal confirmed the money was actually in my account. I'd do this by logging into paypal directly, and check that funds had definitely been transferred and released. Until then I wouldn't send anything anywhere!

Yep, you were being scammed good and proper.

Those e-mails WERE NOT from paypal.

It was sent by the guy trying to scam you, dressed up to look like they were coming from paypal.

It's a very common scam, all over ebay, gumtree and internet forums.

I don't think I've ever heard of eBay holding the money until they receive a tracking number.

No I must admit I've not come across it either. Sometimes they have 'sat on' a payment I've made for something, but that was in the very early days when my account was first set up. Now it just goes straight in there, or out, depending upon the transaction.

No but they do hold money the first time you sell an item of decent value ie a mobile phone - either until you get feedback, OR give them a tracking number proving delivery if buyer isnt leaving feedback, or just the full 21 day limit anyway, if they feel like it.

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

---------- Post added 08-03-2013 at 14:48 ----------

It happens particularly with a new ebay account, or an old one that rarely sells anything, sometimes up to 10 items 'until your buyers leave feedback'. The payments show as pending in your Paypal account. My cousin set up and eBay account just a month or so ago to sell a phone. I listed it for him on his account, he got a few bids and it sold for 80 quid. Buyer paid, he posted next day. Buyer left feedback, no money yet. He added a tracking number showing delivery as Paypal said to do... No money. He had to wait the full 21 days to get paid.

Its to make sure if the buyer opens a dispute for any reason, you have the money left to refund them if they're not happy, and cant take the money and run as it were.

I'm pretty sure though it only applies to eBay sales!

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

Archived