Planning permission ??

What's the legal boundaries with this? I want to build a porch about a metre out and the width of the house, the roof starting from the top of windows and sloping to the bottom of upstairs windows. Iv been told by a few builders to just do it il be ok?

A couple of years ago,I'd have said you are fine. And you probably still are. Problem lies with constant changes in planning law, which even for people who have to deal with it from time to time, can change without them knowing (I'm in that category)

Have a look here Not had time to read it myself, but should give you the guidance you are looking for.

Only for habitable rooms and porches aren’t classed as habitable so are excluded from building regs.
given the description in the thread it looks like it will be part of the main room so will become habitable. porches etc not built to building regs standards imo will only cause problems when they decide to sell. better to be safe than sorry

given the description in the thread it looks like it will be part of the main room so will become habitable. porches etc not built to building regs standards imo will only cause problems when they decide to sell. better to be safe than sorry

It that point it will cease to be a porch and will need both building regs and planning permission.

My wife is involed in a larger building project and has been told that the listed wall which has been found to be unsafe so has to be knocked down and rebuilt using the same bricks will need planning permission for this.

So if they do it without permission then the council might take them to court and get them forced to rebuild the wall in it's origonal condition which is what they are doing.

You could not make this up.

Archived