World Without Internet

I remember being born in 1980 and growing up with the mass influx of electronic mass production where some things worked but most did not.

Like we only ever had a black and white TV until my mum got a colour set out of the club book and my jaw dropped, then we never knew what a VCR was until I went to my uncle's house and saw a video being rewound and was in stitches thinking it was like Benny Hill.

Then from having our first top loading video to countless home computers from Commodore 64, Atari and TV System which was like keyboard that played games.

We finally got in to the 90's and was bombarded with Sega and Nintendo consoles from the Master System to the SNES, then the PlayStation came along and changed the world of gaming forever.

In to last decade and after doing a computer course at Tri-Tec we got our first ever computer which I built and went on AOL which was about the best things going at the time and we kept loading the disks to extend our trial periods and thought it was awesome with a 56k modem, them were the days.

Now after years of internet use and my mum being addicted to Facebook we cannot see a world without it, everything from your phone to now your games console all needs internet, so I can only ask, in this time of world wide web, could you go back 15-20 years and live more basic?

Yeah, going back 15 years would make virtually everyone's life easier. There are loads of fundamental things that have been screwed up in the last 15 years.

A rewind and start again would be amazing. Provided we had the right people running the country. :roll:

It's incredible how quickly things have advanced on. Just thinking about computer games from the basic "ping pong" game to the games nowadays which have incredible complexity and amazing graphics which look almost as realistic as watching the real thing.

I did grow up without a mobile phone or the internet (and I hand-wrote letters to friends and family when I was at Uni) but we still managed to meet up with friends and knew what was going on. Having said that I would hate not to have a mobile phone now (with its internet access)! There is something addictive and compelling (and very convenient) about having INSTANT access to friends and information at any time, wherever you are and wherever they are.

So, overall, I don't think I would want to go back. But in the back of my mind, I think that if we HAD to go back, at least I know it wouldn't be quite as much of a shock to the system for me as it would be for younger generations!

Archived