Another Rape Allegation Against Another Senior SWP Memeber

What I find worrying is she states that at the time the party was a "dangerous place to be" well doh..if you've just been raped. Why two years has elapsed for the complaint to be made public is mind boggling. Why didn't she report such a serious offence to the police at the time? Or did she think the police were more dangerous than a rapist?

What I find worrying is she states that at the time the party was a "dangerous place to be" well doh..if you've just been raped. Why two years has elapsed for the complaint to be made public is mind boggling. Why didn't she report such a serious offence to the police at the time? Or did she think the police were more dangerous than a rapist?

More victim blaming.

More victim blaming.

Not necessarily. The Guardian report says;

"She felt that if she'd gone to the authorities, she would have be expelled from the party, because of the SWP's hostility to the police. "If you go to the police you get kicked out automatically," she said."

If she felt it was more important to stay in the SWP than report the rape then you have to question her judgement. Some of the people I've known on the far left have the same kind of mindset as people in religious cults.

The SWP is as bad as the worst religious cults. I'm very glad they are falling apart.

I'm also glad they are falling apart but they are not as bad as the worst religious cults. People are free to leave the SWP and do all the time. Tens of thousands of people must have passed through their ranks at some point, myself included, and it's perfectly straightforward to leave. Yes they are extremely dogmatic but I don't think they consciously use psychological techniques to keep people in like cults do, although it's a long time since I was a member. It's simply a case of agree with all the policies or leave, so loads of people end up leaving. Those who stay become institutionalised and there are always risks with inward-facing institutions that people put the organisation before everything else, which leads to such appalling judgement as we are being told about now.

Archived