Benefit Fraud - advice needed

As far as I can see the DWP can only interview the people who are on benefits, ie they are suspected of working whilst claiming and not declaring it - they don't even have to receive any money for doing work to be against the rules.

You haven't broken any law by employing them; the onus is on them to declare to the DWP.

Thank you

Did you know they were on benefits before they started doing the work?

No I was not aware of this. It's not something that I would generally ask of the tradesmen/labourers who work for me ... and let's face it they all ask for cash payment

Three wise monkeys...Simples [

Indeed. Lesson learned!!

B]They are allowed to sign on if they work less than 16 hours a week [/b]T

Well there is no way they have worked in excess of 16 hours. They turn up as and when they feel like it .. usually well after midday. Work a few hours and go.

In all truth, I would like to see the back of them - well one in particular. He is of dubious character and has a volatile nature. Since yesterday, the neighbours have been coming out of the woodwork to tell me in great toe curling detail of his crimes and misdemeanours!! Shan't be sleeping well tonight that's for sure.

As others have said, you haven't committed any offence and there is no requirement for you to provide a statememt to the dwp. Probably best in future to spend a bit more and not have armed robbers attending to your horticultural needs in future though.

It is important to know that both the hours and the earnings are supposed to relate to an average, though I've never been clear over what period it should be averaged.

Thus, if you worked 20 hours last week and none this week, then you've averaged 10 and may still qualify for benefit.

Also, you should deduct costs from your gross income.

The problem is that almost nobody at the jobcentre knows either of these things, and even fewer that will admit to it.

But that is the claimant's issue.

I'd suggest that OP simply declines an interview. He has no obligation to talk to them.

Ok so I am under no legal obligation to engage with DWP and can simply decline to answer any questions? That's reassuring .. particularly as earlier poster suggested that I might be interviewed under caution!!!

I don't believe I have done anything wrong by employing them ... am more worried that I would have to spill the beans if I was legally obliged to answer questions (I would not lie because I cannot have a criminal record ... my job would be at stake).

As others have said, you haven't committed any offence and there is no requirement for you to provide a statememt to the dwp. Probably best in future to spend a bit more and not have armed robbers attending to your horticultural needs in future though.

Ha ha ... I agree.

Who knows ... next time I might inadvertantly employ a serial killer.

One of them tells me he can lay a patio ... not sure I believe that.

So can anyone out there recommend an experienced patio layer? Indian stone approx 15m2

Armed robbers and serial killers need not apply.

---------- Post added 09-03-2013 at 23:03 ----------

If someone's on income support/JSA they can do whatever work they want and receive any amount of money, but they must give details to the DWP office in which they sign within a specified time period.

Hi ... do you know what the specified time period is?

Archived