Benefit Fraud - advice needed

So can anyone out there recommend an experienced patio layer? Indian stone approx 15m2

There was an experienced drive and patio layer on the TV yesterday, his workers were trafficked into the country illegally and used as slave labour.

Best to do it yourself these days, what with all the dodgy character out there. :D

I agree with everyone that says you've done nothing wrong, it’s not easy these days finding a good tradesmen, there are plenty of them about but knowing who the good ones are is the challenge.

Ok so I am under no legal obligation to engage with DWP and can simply decline to answer any questions? That's reassuring .. particularly as earlier poster suggested that I might be interviewed under caution!!!

I don't believe I have done anything wrong by employing them ... am more worried that I would have to spill the beans if I was legally obliged to answer questions (I would not lie because I cannot have a criminal record ... my job would be at stake).

You would be better off telling them you have nothing to say.I personally wouldnt get involved,there is nothing in it for you other than the chance of your windows going through if you make a statement.

Let them gather their evidence elewhere, you have nothing to gain and no obligation to be invloved.

Let them gather their evidence elewhere, you have nothing to gain and no obligation to be invloved.

It's extremely unlikely that the DWP will bother the OP -it is not an offence to employ (casually) anyone on benefits whether they are paid £1 or £1,000. There is no obligation in law to ask them.

It's done on a weekly basis. If someone worked 20 hours one week they'd lose all their JSA. If they worked no hours the following week they'd lose none of it.

In what way is it an average then?

---------- Post added 11-03-2013 at 11:11 ----------

Is there?

Yes, a massive difference.

Otherwise everytime you contracted any service, for example by paying to ride on a bus, you'd be an employer. Clearly that isn't the case. And the same principle applies whether you are contracting from a large company like FirstBus or from a small company with one employee.

So if I paid someone £1 million pounds to do a 'task', I shouldn't have any expectation of being questioned about it by the Inland Revenue and/or Department of Work & Pensions?

That depends on whether you were contracting their company to do it, or employing them.

To be honest, I don't know the definitive answer to the OP, but in his case it's pointless playing 'clever' with the DWP, he has nothing to gain as he owes the people he employed nothing by way of supporting a fraudulent claim they're making for benefits and potentially something to lose if he prevaricates or lies over providing any requested information.

His concern isn't that he owes them something, it's avoiding retribution from them.

---------- Post added 11-03-2013 at 11:14 ----------

Which is illegal ;)

No it isn't...

To be honest, I don't know the definitive answer to the OP, but in his case it's pointless playing 'clever' with the DWP, he has nothing to gain as he owes the people he employed nothing by way of supporting a fraudulent claim they're making for benefits and potentially something to lose if he prevaricates or lies over providing any requested information.

What he has to gain is the avoidance of retaliatory action from an armed robber who feels he has been grassed up.

To the OP:

I wouldn't be contracting them to do any more work. I also wouldn't give them any cause to feel they'd been grassed up; by giving the authorities any information. The authorities would have to legally compel me to give up information first, and even then, I would have to contrast the consequences of each option.

If the authorities compelled me to help them, it would be like them using me as a pawn to fight their battles, and I don't imagine they would have much (any) regard for my own well-being in the matter...

Archived