Deer culling on massive scale.

The figures are wrong as at the moment we import over 40% of our food as it is cheaper and a lot of it is foods that we cant grow here and never had much of in the past.

We do need to grow more and there is plenty of land available to do so and also plenty of land for housing. We also need to generate more energy to cope with modern living and increased population. Population is is not much of a problem though as we have the means to deal with it but it seems not the money or will.

Here is a fairy good link about it.

http://www.foodsecurity.ac.uk/issue/uk.html

We already farm 70% of our land, the rest is built on, woodland, moorland, ect.

Optimum population is more than just growing food.

---------- Post added 11-03-2013 at 14:43 ----------

You specifically said the UK's resources can only support a quarter of the population.. I asked for proof of that...I'm not about to wade through pages and pages of google links which may or may not prove you're right..point me in the direction of one link which shows this..

And yet you want me to wade through pages and pages to find the evidence that supports what I said, if you disagree post a link which states the optimum population for the UK is different to the figure I provided.

There are masses of information for you to read before you can come to an informed opinion, and even then it will still be just an opinion because there haven’t been enough studies into optimum population.

And yet you want me to wade through pages and pages to find the evidence that supports what I said, if you disagree post a link which states the optimum population for the UK is different to the figure I provided.

That's not how it works as you well know. Either provide a source for your claim that the UK can only support a quarter of it's present population or withdraw the claim.

If you do neither people will correctly assume it's a false claim anyway.

That's not how it works as you well know. Either provide a source for your claim that the UK can only support a quarter of it's present population or withdraw the claim.

If you do neither people will correctly assume it's a false claim anyway.

There isn't a source just my calculations based on a mass of information and to claim it is inaccurate would mean you have a source which proves optimum population isn’t aproximataly 16,000,000.

You must be capable of using Google and reading, but here I will do a little work for you.

This puts it a little higher than my figure, but any calculations are dependent on each person’s consumption, high consumption gives a lower optimum population than low consumption.

This one puts it a little lower.

Top 10: the world’s most overpopulated countries

Research newly published lists the most overpopulated countries. When we talk about "overpopulation" (as opposed to population size), we are referring to the link between the human population and its environment. Therefore, it's not just the size or density of the population that matters, but how that population relates to sustainable resources.

The UK comes in at a slightly less respectable 17th. Its self-sufficiency rating is 25.8 per cent, meaning that Britain could only support a quarter of its population -- about 15 million -- if it had to rely on its own resources.

The optimum population of Earth – enough to guarantee the minimal physical ingredients of a decent life to everyone – was 1.5 to 2 billion people rather than the 7 billion who are alive today or the 9 billion expected in 2050, said Ehrlich in an interview with the Guardian.

I don't believe the Human population explosion Myth.

This planet has vast areas of perfectly habitable land, but human politics dictates that all the money and resources are spent mainly in big cities.

Have you seen the size of Texas, or Kazakhstan which is larger than western Europe but only 16 million population ?

Politicians and pressure groups constantly peddle this tired story to further their own ends.

This 'myth' has been well documented by many great minds such as Richard Dawkins and David Attenborough. Open your eyes.

This 'myth' has been well documented by many great minds such as Richard Dawkins and David Attenborough. Open your eyes.

Humans are a plague on the Earth that need to be controlled by limiting population growth, according to Sir David Attenborough.

He said the only way to save the planet from famine and species extinction is to limit human population growth.

“We are a plague on the Earth. It’s coming home to roost over the next 50 years or so. It’s not just climate change; it’s sheer space, places to grow food for this enormous horde. Either we limit our population growth or the natural world will do it for us, and the natural world is doing it for us right now,” he told the Radio Times.

“We keep putting on programmes about famine in Ethiopia; that’s what’s happening. Too many people there. They can’t support themselves — and it’s not an inhuman thing to say. It’s the case. Until humanity manages to sort itself out and get a coordinated view about the planet it’s going to get worse and worse.”

So he places non-humans' status above that of humans'. Odd, that.

No he doesn't but there would be nothing odd about it if he did, life on this plant would survive without humans, but humans wouldn’t survive without other life, we need other life forms more than they need us, making them more important.

we continue to expand our population to the detriment of other species.

Human nature, nothing will ever change that. Once we've bled this planet dry, we'll move onto another one, if we've progressed enough by then.

---------- Post added 11-03-2013 at 18:51 ----------

:hihi:

:confused: you were joking weren't you????????????

..................No

The sun is a giant ticking time bomb. One day it will expand and heat the Earth so much that we will all be killed off. We need to make the most of what we have while we are here. That's what life is all about.

We already farm 70% of our land,

No we dont.

Although 70% of the land is arable farmland not all of that land is farmed on and and used, that 70% represents 9.2 million hectares of land only in England. The figures (albeit from 2006) show that of all the crops grown in England only 4.2 million hectares was used, which is less than half of that land available that can be used for growing crops. So we have plenty of room in England alone to grow more crops if needed.

The EU pays subsidies to farmers to the tune of 200 euro's per hectare at the moment to encouraged them not to grow crops. That helps stop overproduction and what was known as the food mountains from accumulating, and also to help keep food prices stable.

In the UK and in other places in the world, even in the driest deserts it is possible to grow food. It not that we cant but as always its about the cost. The same is also true when it come to energy and water.

You may have noticed that people may be starving around the world in poorer countries but, in the modern societies they are suffering from obesity and over consumption.

Archived