Deer culling on massive scale.

Why is it that our species controls and manages all other life forms on the planet and yet when it comes to human overpopulation, the taboo continues, as politicians, those with the actual power are too gutless to address it?

Culling on a massive scale is necessary just to keep the exploding deer population at its current level, they say.

Deer are said to be having a devastating effect on woodland, damaging farmers' crops, causing road accidents and threatening a danger to public safety in urban areas.

Deer strip woodland of wild flowers, brambles and shrubs, and disturb the ecology to the point that native birds are lost. The fact that nightingales are now so rare is largely blamed on deer.

Britain has a total of six deer species. Roe deer and red deer are the only two species native to the UK. Four others have been introduced from abroad since Norman times.

The most recent newcomers were the muntjac deer and the Chinese water deer, which became established in the wild in the 1920s.

Full story

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2013/mar/07/deer-culling-massive-scale-expert

The story would still sound right if deer was removed and human inserted.

Why is it that our species controls and manages all other life forms on the planet and yet when it comes to human overpopulation, the taboo continues, as politicians, those with the actual power are too gutless to address it?

No it wouldn't. How do you think we should address this 'overpopulation'?

Unless you are advocating killing lots of people linking the issue with a deer cull seems somewhat dishonest.

alert!! alert!! look out for the veniburgers coming your way soon.

A couple of major category errors here.

Humans and Deer are mammals, but the similarity ends there.

Culling is never carried out by the same species being culled. Or almost never, but I'm sure you can find historical examples.

But your most egregious and deliberate error is to ignore less controversial and brutal solutions to the overpopulation problem.

If you think a cull is the answer, you haven't analysed the problem very well.

A couple of major category errors here.

Humans and Deer are mammals, but the similarity ends there.

Not really, we are both destroying the environment we live in and both putting other species at risk, yet we find it acceptable to control their number but not our numbers.

Culling is never carried out by the same species being culled. Or almost never, but I'm sure you can find historical examples.

But your most egregious and deliberate error is to ignore less controversial and brutal solutions to the overpopulation problem.

If you think a cull is the answer, you haven't analysed the problem very well.

Your error is assuming that I am suggesting culling humans, when in fact I'm suggesting controlling population size, and being the most intelligent species on the planet I’m sure we could find a way to control our numbers without the need for culling. Culling however would be a more humane way than allowing nature to control our numbers through disease and starvation.

---------- Post added 10-03-2013 at 12:35 ----------

Venison tastes nice, low in fat and easier to digest than beef so I hope they do make them.

I agree and see nothing wrong with eating them. :)

Mr Smith, we were having the very same discussion at home last night when we heard about the cull.

We love to control other populations, but never look a little bit closer to home. And no, of course im not advocating culling humans, im advocating a serious discussion on the over population on the planet and its resources and how we could control that.

Venison tastes nice, low in fat and easier to digest than beef so I hope they do make them.

Never had it but would try it. Sounds like the ultimate free range meat, one minute bambi is enjoying life in the woods then BANG ! Before he knows it, bits of him are on my plate with a medley of seasonal vegetables. And the environment gets a break from deer numbers too.

Archived