Good gig in the boardwalk tonight

thereddevil

“Black Swan Promotions” is a new live night being launched by Blade Concepts on 31st January 2006. The name is taken from The Boardwalk, Home Base Venue 1 for Black Swan Presents. The Boardwalk was originally called “The Black Swan”. Under that moniker and locally known as “The Mucky Duck”, it was the 60’s home of much of Sheffield’s rich musical heritage; being significant as a home base venue for Joe Cocker and the Grease Band back in the days when they were test driving their immortal version of the Beatles “With A Little Help From My Friends”.

Black Swan was also the record label name used by the genius reggae producer Lee “Scratch” Perry to issue such immortal cuts as “To Be A Lover” by George Faith. which is why we're going to play lovely roots rock reggae between the acts

Most recently, The Boardwalk, as it is now called, has been hailed in the national media as the “heartbeat” venue of the sound of New Yorkshire; the latest musical craze sweeping the nation. It was certainly the first place I heard the name “Arctic Monkeys”.

Lee McMahon appears with his superb band for the official launch of this new night. Rotherham’s answer to Neil Young is guaranteed to bring a vociferous crowd. Passionate indie rockers Avangaad bring their dynamic patchwork of heartfelt anthems to the party, whilst Tim Pare (fka Buugsy) wrote most of his material at the same time as riding the Trans-Siberian Express. He is a major new singer-song writing talent about to showcase for the legendary Fierce Panda Records.

In between acts we will be spinning a selection of roots rock reggae tunes plucked from Mr Modo’s Hi-Fi.

Details:

Black Swan Presents Lee McMahon, Tim Pare (fka Buugsy), Avangaad, Mr Modo’s hi-fi.

Date: Tuesday 31st January 2006

Venue: The Boardwalk, Snig Hill, Sheffield, S3 8NA

Tel: (0114) 279 9090, http://www.theboardwalklive.co.uk/

Ticket Price: £ 3.50

I went last night, thought it was good, hes got a good voice and if anything it is less grating live than on his records, quality lyrics and a quality band.... He is a rotherham fan and all which makes him ok in my book.....

Thought the support Tim Pare ws a bit rubbish though, really depressing and like he'd been reading the singer/songwriter handbook, loads of tortured lyrics and that.......

I thought Tim Pare was excellent, i really like his songwriting and his music sits really wel with his lyrics, listen to his stuff on the net, its really quality. Did you see avangaad last night? again, very good indie rock, was quite impressed with them! Lee was good, and the ever growing crowds are something to note...lets hope it continues!

Glad you enjoyed the gig!

I did see a bit of Avaangaard seemed to have quite nice songs, but dint see enough to comment. Tim Pare, I ain't trying to run the lad down but when you stand him next to someone like lee mcmahon, what he did last night seems quite tired, any links where i can hear his music on the internet.....

Archived