'Britain is being raped by high taxes' says luvvie Ray Winstone

Adios Ray, I see The Sun has him labelled as a Legend!! What has he done of any real note?

Be fair, he's gone bankrupt twice and played a gangster a few times....

The Sun newspaper does p1$$ me off though, because Ray Winstone has spoken out on a political issue the Sun agrees with they've labelled him a 'legend'.

I don't imagine for one minute that The Sun labelled Vanessa Redgrave a 'legend' for highlighting the plight of the Palestinian people; or labelled Joanna Lumley a 'legend' for her campaign for the Ghurkas to stay in Britain. Bet they didn't describe Hugh Grant as a 'legend' for his campaign against the nefarious practices of the gutter press :hihi::hihi::hihi:

I would prefer taxes to stay the same, close the loopholes** and spend on things like roads/infrastructure instead of stupid wasteful things and creating non-jobs.

** Yes- like artificial tax avoidance schemes. An end to tax relief on all interest payments!

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/46940000/gif/_46940074_blastland_tax1_466.gif

Top 1% pay 24.1% of all tax collected, top 10% pay 43.3% yet people think the rich still don't pay enough?

Bonkers!

Another reason why the Treasury post crash, has made rebalancing the economy one of its long term goals is that as a country we can't continue to rely on the largesse of such a small number of people to fund our public services. It's untenable to be held hostage by a small number of people at the top threatening to go overseas if they don'y get their own way.

What this would mean in practice I think, is that the distribution of tax taken from different deciles would be more equally shared; and perhaps that would also entail the total tax take of government would be smaller.

It's what's happening in France. You might not like it, but it's reality.

The issue is not whether people will leave if the higher rate is increased. Some people will.

But not all higher rate tax payers will leave. The tax bands need to be set at a rate that maximises revenue while remaining as progressive and fair as possible.

Clearly it is possible to get it wrong. The 95% rate in the 60s was punitive and unfair.

The jury is still out with the French 75% rate. We need to wait to discover the full fiscal impact.

The jury has not even entered the courtroom for the new 45% rate in the UK. The rate kicks in in April.

Archived