Absolutely brilliant call centre chat.

If I answer any of these types of calls i always listen to what they hav to say and then fob them off, just feel like they won't be bothering anyone else whilst they are trying to sell me something.

My husband alsways says no thanks mate I had one of those and the wheel fell off! Doesn't matter what they are trying to sell it always causes confusion.

Best of all my children have started answering the phone (youngest aged 9) and they listen intently to all the waffle and then say sorry not interested I'm only 9 (11 or 13) and then put the phone down. They think it's great.

I worked for Coldseal one summer when I was at uni because I needed to pay my rent and bills and eat. It's not as if your loan goes that far and you can't claim benefits so you have to do something.

Horrible job, but it's made worse when people are horrible to you. You hate what you're doing, you know it doesn't work, but you have supervisors bullying the whole team all the time.

Everyone that worked there was at school, college or uni looking for some income in the summer holidays - all aged 16-21. Some people used to get reduced to tears. I even lost my rag with one woman who was incredibly rude to me after a long day of horrible calls. Fortunately I only had a couple of weeks left to go.

To be honest I'd have enjoyed someone asking me inane questions about if I owned a pc.

Some people are just so frustrating!!

sarcasm works well when they have no idea your using it!

we get people who don't know what a browser is

thats their favourite line, "don't get technical with me" what are these people doing in front of a computer!!

I don't know whether I can bring myself to talk about the user who didn't know what her desktop was, and started looking actually on her desk for what I was describing!!

I hate call centre type work , guess i've just got a low tolerance for muppets on the other end of the phone!

Sounds like you're working in PC support Stevie, - and doing a great job too !! :hihi:

I agree with rad6380 - I've had jobs like this and its soul-destorying!

You're all going 'these people' - you're shooting the messenger! You want to talk to the organ grinder not his monkey! You don't shout at the waitress if you get a horrible meal do you? Its rude to be so mean to them - it might make you feel better but don't forget you're talking to a human being who's just trying to earn a rubbish wage. If they get sick of it because you're so nasty you won't stop getting phone calls - they'll just get someone else to do it.

Having been on the receiving end of inane calls from 'customers' I learned a few tricks to make life easier. My favourite was if people rang up asking if such-and-such paperwork had been received, then you just said you'd check and call them back. Go for a break, maybe clear some other work and then call back and say "no, sorry, you'll have to send it in again". Other stress busters included drawing cartoons of callers and what you imagined they looked like, pulling faces at them etc. The nastier the caller the nastier the treatment they got at the receiving end - e.g. sending out letters with their name spelled in humorous ways, doing their paperwork verrrry slowly etc. These sorts of callers invariably ended up with colourful nicknames too. ;)

But I remember once having a sales call and ringing the company back and trying to sell them something. It was most satisfying, but you can't do it now they have 'witheld' numbers. :(

If I get sales calls now I just say firmly and politely "No Thank you I am busy right now. Goodbye."

Archived