Considering moving out of the uk

I'll be finishing Uni next year, and I've been considering moving out of the UK, I've been mooching around the internet and found some decent jobs in Canada I could apply for once I finished uni etc.

How hard is it to move out of the UK, I've herd getting in to places like Canada/Australia/America can be a right hassle. I think there is a few people on here that have done it, isn't there?

My sister/brother in law moved to Canada it took them about 2 years and they had to have quite a lot of money and some of it had to be left in a bank account here,but they did have a nice house in Grindleford with people outbidding each other to buy it so it wasn't a problem.They love it out there and keep trying to talk us into moving there but neither of us are really interested.

We did it, its easy. Sometime in December we filled out some forms and sent them to Australia House in Leeds then we had to go for an interview. Then we had to go for a medical and have some injections. We got a telegram on 27th December saying do you want to go on 19th January so we said OK. We sent them a postal order for £20 and got the boat from Southampton and one month later we were here. How easy is that?

If you're young get a working visa and try it out. You can get visa's for most non-eu countries. It's tough to get a US green card, you have to get sponsored by a company.

There's free movement to go anywhere in the EU. It's pretty straightforward, you have to learn the language eventually, but less so for white collar jobs where English is the Business language.

As our economy and lifestyle is slowly eroded and young people become increasingly desperate for work it's going to happen more and more.

I'm doing the same thing mate, theres a whole world out there to explore, more to life than this cold island.

I'll be finishing Uni next year, and I've been considering moving out of the UK, I've been mooching around the internet and found some decent jobs in Canada I could apply for once I finished uni etc.

How hard is it to move out of the UK, I've herd getting in to places like Canada/Australia/America can be a right hassle. I think there is a few people on here that have done it, isn't there?

I think your level of indebtedness would be a handicap.They welcome people with assets not potential dependents.Can you speak French as this may help?

1973 and it was Australia not Canada. The £20 was for two of us, £10 each. Canada should be cheaper, if you send the money to me I'll forward it on and send you the change.:)

10 quid pommies! :hihi: my parents did the same!

We did it 3 years ago now.... But it was a little easier for us. I'm Australian, not that i havent lived here for 22 years, but i didnt need a visa. I was able to sponser the girlfriend. 2 years, lots of hoops jumped through and about $2500 later she is granted her residency.

I am also picking my mate up from sydney airport in about 10 days. He used a visa agent who did all the hard work for him. He paid his money... About 4k iirc, and he was granted a skills visa. Booked his one way flight and has taken the plunge!

We did it, its easy. Sometime in December we filled out some forms and sent them to Australia House in Leeds then we had to go for an interview. Then we had to go for a medical and have some injections. We got a telegram on 27th December saying do you want to go on 19th January so we said OK. We sent them a postal order for £20 and got the boat from Southampton and one month later we were here. How easy is that?

Ermmm

It's not that easy to get into Aus nowadays, not by a long chalk, but if you have skills they're short of you're off to the best possible start.

You need to organise yourself rather than 'mooch' around (;)), and work by a list (or lists-) of

(i) countries (would you consider non-English speaking or not? = trim the list by all non- English-speaking to begin with. Would you consider 3rd world or religious states or not = trim some more, etc, etc.)

(ii) opportunities in each country (job market situation, relevant jobs /rates/perks, etc, etc.)

(iii) ease of seizing opportunities (paperwork to get in, VISAs, points, have you got a police rap sheet that will hinder entry in this/that country, etc, etc.)

(iv) cost of living (within the countries remaining on the list, one relative to the other)

(v) last but not least (in fact, first :D) your own qualities: take a long, hard, objective look at yourself to begin with (will you cope with isolation/distance, even if only temporary, with stress of new job/responsibilities/personal stuff added on top, etc, etc. without a close-by 'network' (family/friends) on which to fall back on)

It's not as easy as 'babble' and TV programs suggest, by a very long shot. Even for (on paper-) 'shoe in' emigration in countries with same language/culture/work ethic/practices/etc.

I'm on my 6th (over 22 years or so). 4 were foreign language to me at the time (no French in day-to-day), last one was English (Ireland) and the worst of them all (IMHO - good for work, terrible for living), now back to England (which, technically, was my 4th).

It's still easier for you now, than with Mrs and baby in tow/house to sell/'full' move to organise, etc...so don't put it off too long ;)

Archived