Are our inner cities isolating the remaining indigenous populous?

Are our inner cities isolating the remaining indigenous populous?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Are our inner cities isolating the remaining indigenous populous?

I was talking to a relative who had come back from a recent trip to the east end. Rubbish and halal butchers was the description, followed by "it never used to be like that". Doesn't read the telegraph either.

Is the rubbish soley becuase of halal butchers? Apart from the recent gentrification since when has the east end been pretty?

I was talking to a relative who had come back from a recent trip to the east end. Rubbish and halal butchers was the description, followed by "it never used to be like that". Doesn't read the telegraph either.

i come from the east end and fully agree , as an example there are many markets in london that have been going on for donkeys years, full of family traders on the same pitch also for donkeys years but in the last 10 years or so they have all petered out, to be replaced with a hundred and one stalls selling the same cheap tatt and mostly by newcomers who just happen to be foreign in most cases, i know people will argue with that but its a true fact not a ratial slur, certain markets were known for certain things and now sadly its all or mostly gone, im sure this isnt just in london either, its a shame too in my opinion, times change and not always for the best

Is the rubbish soley becuase of halal butchers? Apart from the recent gentrification since when has the east end been pretty?

the east end was a wonderful place for many years, lots of architecture etc and lots of history as well as being so close to the center of london, i might get shot for this comment but it is mainly an ethnic area now and full of rubbish and very delapidated and run down, a ghetto in many places, its saddens me as an eastender, especially when i hear other peoples comments about it and i think if only you knew it when it was thriving, im sure a lot of other places in the country have gone the same way

---------- Post added 11-03-2013 at 00:55 ----------

Surely its market forces though, why try and sell stuff the local community doesn't require?

i cant answer for that i can only tell you what its like now, as stated above

if you drive through the east end most houses and flats have had metal security gates fitted over their front doors and ground floor windows, this just shows how far its fallen as although i know times change and crime has increased everywhere but it was safe® to leave your door open etc, as well as gang problems , the list goes on,

the east end was a wonderful place for many years, lots of architecture etc and lots of history as well as being so close to the center of london, i might get shot for this comment but it is mainly an ethnic area now and full of rubbish and very delapidated and run down, a ghetto in many places, its saddens me as an eastender, especially when i hear other peoples comments about it and i think if only you knew it when it was thriving, im sure a lot of other places in the country have gone the same way

---------- Post added 11-03-2013 at 00:55 ----------

i cant answer for that i can only tell you what its like now, as stated above

I have family and friends in Haringey and I'd say since the influx of new BME's and hipsters the area has improved, but not in every way for the 'native' locals whom 'feel' forced out, and many parts of inner London are now more gentrified by 'whites' than anywhere else in UK.

No, but it's coming from somewhere. East end hasn't been pretty but said relative found the level of rubbish quite shocking. That's down to the council and residents. Residential hammersmith earlier this year was clean and tidy, IMHO.

Archived