Are our inner cities isolating the remaining indigenous populous?

Are our inner cities isolating the remaining indigenous populous?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Are our inner cities isolating the remaining indigenous populous?

I'm not suggesting they have to dress in a certain way, merely that those that choose to dress in a manner which emphasises where they came from and not where they are may have a harder time integrating than those who adopt more British forms of attire, which as you point out is a very broad church with something for everyone. The burqua is an extreme example as it clearly identifies an extremist strain of islamic interpretation so not a good benchmark but there are lots more innocuous forms of garb which just emphasise the wearer as "foreign" - which is fine, but not going to be particularly helpful in integrating.

I'm still not convinced andy, 'integration' is a two way street in my opinion. What someone chooses to wear doesn't, to me at least, indicate they're not seeking to integrate. We, as British citizens also need to hold our hands up to our own commitment to integration.

As far as I can see Im one of several contributors to this thread. I could ask why people who have no relevant contribution to make feel the need to question those who do.

---------- Post added 13-03-2013 at 14:44 ----------

I didn't start this thread!

---------- Post added 13-03-2013 at 14:46 ----------

Unable to accept? I'm debating politely and without rancour against anyone.

It appears to me that people without a coherent argument are unable to accept the views of those who do.

Most of the treads you have started up are about very similar subjects to this one like you have some kind of axe to grind, I'm a Kiwi by birth and white and I to suffered a bit of racism from people when I first came here.

Most of the treads you have started up are about very similar subjects to this one like you have some kind of axe to grind,
I've no axe to grind whatsover, Im black, most of my family/friends are white-but who I am or what I post about shouldnt be relevant to the quality of the argument. I've yet to visit the Knitting Forum and slag off the contributors there for always talking about knitting!

I'm a Kiwi by birth and white and I to suffered a bit of racism from people when I first came here.

Not really clear on your point. I'm a middle aged black bloke, born and bred in Sheffield and experienced very little in the way of racism. If you're familiar with my posts/thread you'll know that I've consistently said we all hold racist views to some extent, it's how we challenge them-that's the issue. I also said in reply to tinfoilhat earlier that getting on isn't race/religion specific..we can all do so if we're committed to a positive outcome, my grievance is with people who seek excuses to hate and I dont care what colour they are.

I've no axe to grind whatsover, Im black, most of my family/friends are white-but who I am or what I post about shouldnt be relevant to the quality of the argument. I've yet to visit the Knitting Forum and slag off the contributors there for always talking about knitting!

Not really clear on your point. I'm a middle aged black bloke, born and bred in Sheffield and experienced very little in the way of racism. If you're familiar with my posts/thread you'll know that I've consistently said we all hold racist views to some extent, it's how we challenge them-that's the issue. I also said in reply to tinfoilhat earlier that getting on isn't race/religion specific..we can all do so if we're committed to a positive outcome, my grievance is with people who seek excuses to hate and I dont care what colour they are.

As soon as I opened my mouth people would start holding their hands up making silly clicking sounds and hoping around,if anyone knows anything about New Zealand there are no kangaroos there,it used to get right on my nerves my Kiwi accent has all but gone now but people still call me Kiwi even after living here for over 30 years.

Some good points there,but if they don't have anything to offer this country they should not be allowed here in the first place,we have enough of our own to look after, we are not a charity for the rest of the world,the past few influx of migrants came here to work and contributed to the country,now all we get are scroungers and the scum of these places who have no intention of fitting in with our society and are just here for a free ride.

I agree that the UK should decide who can and cannot live here. In the case of non-EU countries, we can, and I believe we do. In the case of EU countries we for the most part cannot. However, I don’t think the problem is as bad as some parts of the media would have us believe. IMO, those who have come and will come from (mostly eastern) EU counties are here to work. They work for their money. Of these, some will leave and go back home if/when they have earned enough money or if/when their homeland becomes more prosperous and they will be able to make a good standard of living there. Others will stay and integrate. Provided they want to play their part while they are here, I don’t begrudge either type (ie those who stay for a short period and those who settle here).

My mother-in-law came here from Jamaica in the 50s, with the intention of going back. In the event, she stayed and worked as a nurse, met and married her husband, brought up a family (all 4 children gainfully employed and fully integrated )and has assimilated into society. She is now retired.

When people come to a different country they feel vulnerable… Within a few more generations, they will no longer be seen as a problem, provided we (ie society as a whole) welcomes their wish to simply get on with their lives as a part of British society.

Stop making sense!

As soon as I opened my mouth people would start holding their hands up making silly clicking sounds and hoping around,if anyone knows anything about New Zealand there are no kangaroos there,it used to get right on my nerves my Kiwi accent has all but gone now but people still call me Kiwi even after living here for over 30 years.

Well I'm very well aware of the difference (I watch Flight of the Conchords ;)), and do appreciate what you're saying, but I haven't sought to devalue you or your contributions because of your background.

I'm still not convinced andy, 'integration' is a two way street in my opinion. What someone chooses to wear doesn't, to me at least, indicate they're not seeking to integrate. We, as British citizens also need to hold our hands up to our own commitment to integration.

Integration should be a one way street, if you can't or won't fit in find another club don't expect others to change their ways to suit you.

Integration should be a one way street, if you can't or won't fit in find another club don't expect others to change their ways to suit you.

..and then you wonder why foreigners seek affiliation with those from their own communities.

Nobody's talking about anyone changing their ways..I don't have to change who I am in order to sit down and have a cup of tea with someone who wasn't born here.

Of course if you have similar views to Nick Griffin such an encounter might present emotional difficulties to you ;)

..and then you wonder why foreigners seek affiliation with those from their own communities.

If said foreigners are not prepared to integrate unconditionally, then they should not be residing in this country at all.

Why should we, the indigenous majority modify our culture to accomodate aliens?

Archived