Are our inner cities isolating the remaining indigenous populous?

Are our inner cities isolating the remaining indigenous populous?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Are our inner cities isolating the remaining indigenous populous?

Some of my London born husband's ancestors were from the East End and we've been there over the years doing some family history research. Ratcliffe; Bethnal Green; Whitechapel; Bow; Poplar were just some of the parts they lived in. They were obviously very poor, my husband's g.grandmother died in the Poplar Sick Asylum. The last time we visited we went to Poplar, to see where they lived in Cottage Street. Its now council flats, but still doesn't appear affluent, unlike some other parts of the East End. There was a large Chinese community there at one time.

At the time of our visit, our son was in Canary Wharf for work, and we could see it from Poplar. What a change in fortunes.

bassy , my partner is from Tottenham and she totally agrees with everything you have said so well done. Nothing racist here just simple fact.

thank you, i dont have a racist bone in my body, i just said it how it is, lived there all my life till recently and its such a shame, still home to me though for all its faults

all the foriegners get looked afters and us britishs buy thes new hospitals in silly places thats nobodies would goes on hoildays too.

What a shame with all the advantages you've enjoyed being 'britishs', you haven't yet managed to master the mother tongue.

thank you, i dont have a racist bone in my body, i just said it how it is, lived there all my life till recently and its such a shame, still home to me though for all its faults

What you're lamenting is change, the east end of London was always home to poor/working class people and immigrants, the devil you know you feel comfortable with..but the poor white East Enders have improved themselves and moved on and many of the immigrants from the 50's/60's have gone with them to be replaced by foreigners with unfamiliar faces and accents.

You earlier also complained about the loss of the local markets. That has little to do with immigration taking over and more to do with the purchasing habits of people generally. Local markets are used mainly by immigrants who purchase ethnic foods cheaply for their own consumption..the rest of us visit the mega supermarkets, that's what put local British shops out of business.

if you drive through the east end most houses and flats have had metal security gates fitted over their front doors and ground floor windows, this just shows how far its fallen as although i know times change and crime has increased everywhere but it was safe® to leave your door open etc, as well as gang problems , the list goes on,

When the likes of the Krays were around the East End, lowlife petty criminals were kept firmly in their place ,and the local community was looked after and the sort of crime that is all too frequent today wasnt tolerated and was dealt with.

i knows my englihs is poor it not mys faults.

Whose fault is it then, 'foriegners'?

---------- Post added 11-03-2013 at 19:36 ----------

When the likes of the Krays were around the East End, lowlife petty criminals were kept firmly in their place ,and the local community was looked after and the sort of crime that is all too frequent today wasnt tolerated and was dealt with.

What you mean like knee cappings, torture and gangland shootings?

Archived