Stagecoach buses in Sheffield

The biggest offender for this by far is stagecoach who in an attempt to gain passengers will hammer h*ll for leather along a route to get to a busy stop and then stand there in order to gain as many passengers as possible (often eventually leaving late). This behaviour is contrary to the spirit of the Sheffield bus agreement but happens all the same. Check the 120 stops outside T J Hughes, and on Flat street. It rare to NOT see a stagecoach bus at either of these stops. The one outside T J Hughes in particular has other services from the same stop that can rarely get to the stop and end up picking up in the road as a result.

Absolute nonsense!

I'm pretty sure the drivers don't care about fighting for extra passengers that much, I do know Stagecoach have added extra time into the schedules where buses have regularly run late due to fluctuating traffic conditions. Just look at the morning peak schedule for the 25 from Bradway and you will see a different running time for each departure!

As for blocking stops and roads, First are the worst offenders. Driver changes at Fitzalan Square, which isn't even a bus stop, often causes gridlock all the way to Park Square roundabout when a bus sits on the junction queuing to get onto Fitzalan Square, there are usually more buses than can fit on the stop on High Street and Church Street (usually 52s or 120s involved somewhere) and buses not pulling into stops properly on West Street obstructing the tramway.

Many of the problems of bus stops being blocked are of course not the fault of the bus drivers - sometimes a car or more often a taxi has parked in the bus stop illegally stopping the buses pulling in properly - and in many cases the SYPTE have allocated more buses to a stop than the road layout can physically cope with.

The biggest offender for this by far is stagecoach who in an attempt to gain passengers will hammer h*ll for leather along a route to get to a busy stop and then stand there in order to gain as many passengers as possible (often eventually leaving late). This behaviour is contrary to the spirit of the Sheffield bus agreement but happens all the same. Check the 120 stops outside T J Hughes, and on Flat street. It rare to NOT see a stagecoach bus at either of these stops. The one outside T J Hughes in particular has other services from the same stop that can rarely get to the stop and end up picking up in the road as a result.

Give over, aswell as driving for first are you their pr consultant:roll: stagecoach drivers are no different from first, I don't know any driver at my depot that will race to a stop to beat a first bus, same as most first drivers wouldn't to beat a stagecoach bus. Get that chip off your shoulder:roll:

I always thought it worked like this. My appointment at B is at 11.30. Check bus timetable. Ah bus leaves A (my stop) at 10.45 arrives at B (my destination) at 11.15. If the bus arrives on time I have 15 minutes to play with.Sorry but do I have the concept of public travel wrong ? As long as the bus runs to schedule and more importantly turns up who cares?

hi again, Thanks busdriver 1. youve got us all there in the end.Thanks for the truth. apologies for running slow giving others time to catch up. Thanks.

Where did busdriver1 give you the truth? All he gave you was his bias, I love first opinion. Two people (myself and Andy c) said he was talking rubbish yet you still believe him so it fits in with your attitude towards stagecoach.

If you want the truth why don't you start a poll asking who has been on a first or stagecoach bus and had to wait at a bus stop, I bet you most will say both.

---------- Post added 16-03-2013 at 18:44 ----------

I always thought it worked like this. My appointment at B is at 11.30. Check bus timetable. Ah bus leaves A (my stop) at 10.45 arrives at B (my destination) at 11.15. If the bus arrives on time I have 15 minutes to play with.Sorry but do I have the concept of public travel wrong ? As long as the bus runs to schedule and more importantly turns up who cares?

That sounds right to me, obviously that isnt good enough for some though

Hmm, maybe it's to have a chance at actually getting on the stop which is impossible due to first drivers changing over or taking forever to do what they've got to do. I'm sick of being stuck behind slow first drivers.

Guest busdriver1
Absolute nonsense!

I'm pretty sure the drivers don't care about fighting for extra passengers that much, I do know Stagecoach have added extra time into the schedules where buses have regularly run late due to fluctuating traffic conditions. Just look at the morning peak schedule for the 25 from Bradway and you will see a different running time for each departure!

As for blocking stops and roads, First are the worst offenders. Driver changes at Fitzalan Square, which isn't even a bus stop, often causes gridlock all the way to Park Square roundabout when a bus sits on the junction queuing to get onto Fitzalan Square, there are usually more buses than can fit on the stop on High Street and Church Street (usually 52s or 120s involved somewhere) and buses not pulling into stops properly on West Street obstructing the tramway.

Many of the problems of bus stops being blocked are of course not the fault of the bus drivers - sometimes a car or more often a taxi has parked in the bus stop illegally stopping the buses pulling in properly - and in many cases the SYPTE have allocated more buses to a stop than the road layout can physically cope with.

Read my point again and you will see I was referring in particular to the stop outside TJ Hughes, on the sad occasion I have to come to Sheffield I have never been able to pull up at that stop because of stagecoach buses blocking it. And I do mean Never Our drivers are frequently bombarded with complaints about this behaviour and the innability of passengers with buggies and wheelchairs to board at this stop for this reason. The bus driver changes at Fitzallen square are, I agree, a problem but that tends to be for short periods only. I have yet to see the stop outside Hughes without a stagecoach 120 parked on it.

---------- Post added 19-03-2013 at 14:38 ----------

Give over, aswell as driving for first are you their pr consultant:roll: stagecoach drivers are no different from first, I don't know any driver at my depot that will race to a stop to beat a first bus, same as most first drivers wouldn't to beat a stagecoach bus. Get that chip off your shoulder:roll:

The above can and should be applied to you. open your eyes to what is happening. PS I dont normally drive for First.

Read my point again and you will see I was referring in particular to the stop outside TJ Hughes, on the sad occasion I have to come to Sheffield I have never been able to pull up at that stop because of stagecoach buses blocking it. And I do mean Never Our drivers are frequently bombarded with complaints about this behaviour and the innability of passengers with buggies and wheelchairs to board at this stop for this reason. The bus driver changes at Fitzallen square are, I agree, a problem but that tends to be for short periods only. I have yet to see the stop outside Hughes without a stagecoach 120 parked on it.

---------- Post added 19-03-2013 at 14:38 ----------

The above can and should be applied to you. open your eyes to what is happening. PS I dont normally drive for First.

The issues outside the former TJ Hughes apply equally to both First and Stagecoach depending on what time you look.

It is nothing to do with drivers of a specific operator, the simple fact is there are more buses scheduled to stop there than there is space for.

The 120 is very frequent and has standing time in the timetable (and this is a joint Optio service) so it is common for the next bus to arrive before the previous one has left. Then throw into the mix one of the other buses that shares the stop such as the 30, 42, 44 or 123!

You also have the same thing at the 52 stop, again a very frequent service and again shares the stop with other routes such as the 69.

There are even problems with the stop for the 22/25/25A. It isn't uncommon for a Stagecoach 25 to be stranded in the middle of the traffic lights because a First 22 is blocking the stop which in turn is blocked in by multiple 52s that have stopped too far back because of the 120s (and so on...)

The issues outside the former TJ Hughes apply equally to both First and Stagecoach depending on what time you look.

It is nothing to do with drivers of a specific operator, the simple fact is there are more buses scheduled to stop there than there is space for.

The 120 is very frequent and has standing time in the timetable (and this is a joint Optio service) so it is common for the next bus to arrive before the previous one has left. Then throw into the mix one of the other buses that shares the stop such as the 30, 42, 44 or 123!

You also have the same thing at the 52 stop, again a very frequent service and again shares the stop with other routes such as the 69.

There are even problems with the stop for the 22/25/25A. It isn't uncommon for a Stagecoach 25 to be stranded in the middle of the traffic lights because a First 22 is blocking the stop which in turn is blocked in by multiple 52s that have stopped too far back because of the 120s (and so on...)

exactly. nothing to do with the drivers but the frequency of the buses. I think the 120's are every 5 minutes, 52's about the same aswell. add the other services and first buses to that it's going to get crowded.

for the record busdriver1 the management have never told any driver to 'hammer h*ll for leather along a route to get to a busy stop and then stand there in order to gain as many passengers as possible', so I don't see why you'd think the drivers would decide to do it, most drivers prefer as few passengers as possible and i'm sure most first drivers would think the same.

Archived