Falklands vote to stay British

no oil has been discovered there at all. In fact the Falkland Oil and Gas share price halved recently following disapointing drilling results. Just because somebody says there might be lots of oil somewhere doesn't mean that there is.

The news on CNN International yesterday was incorrect then?

---------- Post added 12-03-2013 at 18:38 ----------

I don't think there's much chance of that happening. It would be nice if the US government would accept it though, rather than pandering to the Hispanics.

Obama isn't the US and anyway it dont matter. The vote has been taken and the people have spoken. Obama already has 99 percent of the Hispanic vote

Obama isn't the US and anyway it dont matter. The vote has been taken and the people have spoken. Obama already has 99 percent of the Hispanic vote

I agree it doesn't matter, it would however be nice if a key ally and democracy would formally back the islanders right to self determination. We're not holding our breath however.

I'm all for a degree of loyalty to Queen and Country,but just seeing that bunch of Falkland Islanders on the news wearing all the union jack clobber, waving the flags and singing Rule Brittania seemed a little disturbing to me,and seemed more align with jingoism i thought.

I can only imagine what Argentinans may have been thinking.

But logically if you look at a map of the world, keeping the Falklands British makes about as much sense as giving the Isle Of Wight to Argentina!

Only if you think in terms of sovereignty based on geographic proximity as opposed to a right to self determination expressed by the people.

I wonder whether the people of the Faeroe Islands should be forcibly assimilated into the UK as they are much closer to us than to Denmark? :hihi:

If territory is deemed to belong to whichever large country is closest, then Ireland should belong to the UK, Finland should belong to Russia and Belgium should belong to Germany....of course all of these have been tried in the past and didn't prove too popular with the locals!

I'm all for a degree of loyalty to Queen and Country,but just seeing that bunch of Falkland Islanders on the news wearing all the union jack clobber, waving the flags and singing Rule Brittania seemed a little disturbing to me,and seemed more align with jingoism i thought.

I can only imagine what Argentinans may have been thinking.

They are a throwback to the fifties when we were all like that. I have visited the Falklands and had tea with some residents. They were lovely and deserve self determination.

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

It isn't much of a surprise they voted to stay British,i expect even though some of them have never set foot in Britain they feel more British then the British if you get the gist of my meaning.

i get what you meaning lol .

News Bulletin!

New pope will be Roman Catholic, black bears defecate in forests, top bankers earn vast bonuses, senior cabinet ministers conspire and lie under oath, Falkland Islanders vote to remain British dependency.

More on these stories at 9.

They are a throwback to the fifties when we were all like that. I have visited the Falklands and had tea with some residents. They were lovely and deserve self determination
I suppose its natural for them to get carried away when they have acchieved a victory,and its good to see people showing such loyalty to the monarchy,but viewing the event from a distance can sometimes make such a spectacle appear quite fanatical and over the top,especially when it relates to people declaring such patriotism to Britain from so far away.After all its a long time since the fifties and the so called glory days of the British Empire.

Archived