Falklands vote to stay British

I doubt they will be fleeced and robbed as much as we are here by the Government.

They're subsidized at almost £45k each by the UK.

---------- Post added 13-03-2013 at 10:58 ----------

Only if you think in terms of sovereignty based on geographic proximity as opposed to a right to self determination expressed by the people.

I don't recall the people of Hong Kong or Diego Garcia getting any rights to self-determination.

I don't recall the people of Hong Kong or Diego Garcia getting any rights to self-determination.

In the case of Diego Garcia, I agree but two wrongs don't make a right.

Hong Kong was leased to the UK for a 99 year period expiring in 1997, so the circumstances were entirely different. It was never a British Overseas Territory.

I'm all for a degree of loyalty to Queen and Country,but just seeing that bunch of Falkland Islanders on the news wearing all the union jack clobber, waving the flags and singing Rule Brittania seemed a little disturbing to me,and seemed more align with jingoism i thought.

I think the media might have played a hand in that. I don't imagine that a Union Jack suit is part of a Falklander's everyday wardrobe.

I thought the Falklands Island votes for being part of Argentina was equivilent of getting turkeys to vote for Christmas.

So questionable legitimacy, for the turkeys, and wonder when they will invent another waste of time.

We just want the oil, and the strangest thing is double standards. Those people living on a windswept bit of British Rock, are allowed to stay, whereas those living on the Chagos island in the Indian Ocean, a community that had lived there for thousands of years were not, as it was inconvenient.

We the British forcibly rounded up the 2,000 people living there, who were then evicted when the colony was leased to the United States to build an airbase on the atoll of Diego Garcia.

Most were sent to live in Mauritius and the Seychelles, where they were just dumped, and spent their lives resented by the people there. Their lives changed from that of a comfortable community self sufficient to that of abject poverty, so its good to know we practice double standards.

Flakland Islands are on the same continental shelf as Argentina, as oppoed to being somewhere off North Wales or anywhere near Europe. THe British Empire's stand against foreigners lives!

I thought the Falklands Island votes for being part of Argentina was equivilent of getting turkeys to vote for Christmas.

So questionable legitimacy, for the turkeys, and wonder when they will invent another waste of time.

We just want the oil, and the strangest thing is double standards. Those people living on a windswept bit of British Rock, are allowed to stay, whereas those living on the Chagos island in the Indian Ocean, a community that had lived there for thousands of years were not, as it was inconvenient.

We the British forcibly rounded up the 2,000 people living there, who were then evicted when the colony was leased to the United States to build an airbase on the atoll of Diego Garcia.

Most were sent to live in Mauritius and the Seychelles, where they were just dumped, and spent their lives resented by the people there. Their lives changed from that of a comfortable community self sufficient to that of abject poverty, so its good to know we practice double standards.

Flakland Islands are on the same continental shelf as Argentina, as oppoed to being somewhere off North Wales or anywhere near Europe. THe British Empire's stand against foreigners lives!

1 - we did'nt think about oil when we first claimed the islands . (just potatoes i think lol)

2 - lol continental shelves are moving . so in another 20,000 years it'd be closer to us still so there should be no argument at all then lol

3. try saying we stand against foreign lives to thousands entering uk and working here . let alone the one's that are here unaccounted for and still working . oh and the millions of pounds in foreign aid we give to assist foreign lives . :loopy:

I agree it doesn't matter, it would however be nice if a key ally and democracy would formally back the islanders right to self determination. We're not holding our breath however.

During the Falklands war the US gave military assistance to the UK forces. It's never been heard much of but it did happen.... that i do know.

During the Falklands war the US gave military assistance to the UK forces. It's never been heard much of but it did happen.... that i do know.

The Chilean military Junta support to Britain during the 1982 conflict “was important, but did no influence the outcome of the war; United States support to Britain was decisive”, remarked former Argentine Army Commander General Martin Balza interviewed by the Chilean media.

I don't want to downplay the military, logistical and contingency support President Reagan gave during the war, against the wishes of the Democrats.

I'm talking about the current admins refusal to give backing to the Falklands right to self determination.

Archived