When is it acceptable to make jokes?

as the title suggests, but....

is it acceptable for a black person to make a joke mocking black people.

would it be acceptable for a person of asian origin to do the same.

Where is the line drawn, just wondering as sometimes i publicly see these kind of jokes being made, and laughed at, but if a white person makes a joke about black people, its usually a bit taboo..

the list goes on..disabled people on this forum is classic!!

as the title suggests, but....

is it acceptable for a black person to make a joke mocking black people.

would it be acceptable for a person of asian origin to do the same.

Where is the line drawn, just wondering as sometimes i publicly see these kind of jokes being made, and laughed at, but if a white person makes a joke about black people, its usually a bit taboo..

the list goes on..disabled people on this forum is classic!!

I think a general rule should be that people who don't have a sense of humour shouldn't make jokes... :)

I think a general rule should be that people who don't have a sense of humour shouldn't make jokes... :)

or should it be people who dont have a sense of humour should not listen to jokes?

p.s, i havent made any jokes, but i do object to the idea that its ok for ethnic minorities or disabled people making jokes about their own, when its not acceptable for others

or should it be people who dont have a sense of humour should not listen to jokes?

p.s, i havent made any jokes, but i do object to the idea that its ok for ethnic minorities or disabled people making jokes about their own, when its not acceptable for others

...Maybe.

Perhaps all jokes should be banned or quarantined in a place where they can do little harm to anyone - a bit like "I'm Bored" I suppose... :(

...Maybe.

Perhaps all jokes should be banned or quarantined in a place where they can do little harm to anyone - a bit like "I'm Bored" I suppose... :(

I have a issue on the forum which i have complained about, but appears to have fell on deaf ears, probably because the person who has offended me has a position of authority on the forum, but naming and shaming is banned, so i wont break the rules.

I have a issue on the forum which i have complained about, but appears to have fell on deaf ears, probably because the person who has offended me has a position of authority on the forum, but naming and shaming is banned, so i wont break the rules.

Glad to hear it! I've had my fill with jokes anyway. ;)

You can never get a serious answer on here anymore!

If something is funny tell it. Forget about politcal correctness, racism, religion, disability, etc. If it is funny - it is funny! Laugh. Any normal person can tell the difference between fun and offensiveness whatever their ethnicity, religion, impairment, etc. If someone wants to be offended they will be and there is nothing you can do about it. There is too much of people looking for offensiveness that isn't there, and too many people making a fortune out of it.

It's like anything else, it's all about context. And it's also about what type of relationship the people in question share. If I were to make a joke about the ethnicity of a really close friend who knows that I'd never intentionally disrespect them or ridicule them, they'd take what as say as friendly banter, as would I if the roles were reversed, but if someone who hardly knew them did it, I wouldn't be too pleased about the way they're talking to my friend. There's a fine line to everything.

Mod Note

If you have submitted a helpdesk ticket then you will get a response, it may take some time as the helpdesk is extremely busy, it may be that they have already responded but the response was caught by your junk mail filter, it may be that your registered email address is incorrect.

A response to a helpdesk ticket will always be sent, however once sent the forum no longer has any control over it and cannot guarantee it will reach it's destination.

However discussing the moderation of this forum in the general forums is not allowed and any further posts on the matter will be deleted.

Archived