When is it acceptable to make jokes?

looks like our friendly neighbourhood trolls off trying to push the race agenda as usual, under a new name

You have to admit there is a LOT of racial hypocrisy. For instance, one person of black origin calls another person of same origin the "N-word" and it's fine and hunky-dory, it's seen as acceptable. However any other person of ethnic origin, be it white, asian etc calls that same person of black origin by the "n-word" and it's a racist comment

Explain to me why?

But then again, anthropologically speaking, racism doesn't exist, at least human to human.

is it acceptable for a black person to make a joke mocking black people.

Depends what the joke is. Like all jokes.

would it be acceptable for a person of asian origin to do the same.

Depends.

What types of jokes have you got in mind?

one person of black origin calls another person of same origin the "N-word" and it's fine and hunky-dory, it's seen as acceptable. However any other person of ethnic origin, be it white, asian etc calls that same person of black origin by the "n-word" and it's a racist comment

Explain to me why?

That's not quite true though. If you build up a strong enough friendship you can call anyone whatever you wish. You can call your black friend a coon or a n*gger or whatever you like if you both think it's funny. What you can't do is say it to other people and expect them to not be offended. That would be foolish.

As another example, I can call my friends all sorts of names that I couldn't possibly use to people at work, or strangers.

as the title suggests, but....

is it acceptable for a black person to make a joke mocking black people.

would it be acceptable for a person of asian origin to do the same.

Where is the line drawn, just wondering as sometimes i publicly see these kind of jokes being made, and laughed at, but if a white person makes a joke about black people, its usually a bit taboo..

the list goes on..disabled people on this forum is classic!!

I have white friends and family who tell black jokes, I've black friends/family who tell white ones...the key for me is it's 'acceptable' provided it's well conceived and funny, jokes about not getting lost in the snow or the size of my appendage are frankly terribly unfunny.

---------- Post added 12-03-2013 at 15:08 ----------

That's not quite true though. If you build up a strong enough friendship you can call anyone whatever you wish. You can call your black friend a coon or a n*gger or whatever you like if you both think it's funny. What you can't do is say it to other people and expect them to not be offended. That would be foolish.

As another example, I can call my friends all sorts of names that I couldn't possibly use to people at work, or strangers.

Spot on :thumbsup:

---------- Post added 12-03-2013 at 15:09 ----------

I have a issue on the forum which i have complained about, but appears to have fell on deaf ears
It's because you're a honky :hihi:

Mod Note

OK this is the last chance for this thread, you wish to discuss the topic then discuss the topic.

You wish to discuss moderation or the way the forum is run then talk to the Helpdesk.

You have to admit there is a LOT of racial hypocrisy. For instance, one person of black origin calls another person of same origin the "N-word" and it's fine and hunky-dory, it's seen as acceptable. However any other person of ethnic origin, be it white, asian etc calls that same person of black origin by the "n-word" and it's a racist comment

Explain to me why?

But then again, anthropologically speaking, racism doesn't exist, at least human to human.

Have you never jokingly called a good friend something bad? Black people often use the Nword among themselves in the same way, just like I might call my buddy a bum. One of two things will happen, the other guy will laugh with you or give you a thick lip. If a white person calls a black person a N....., he'd better be a big personal friend or carry a big gun.

or should it be people who dont have a sense of humour should not listen to jokes?

p.s, i havent made any jokes, but i do object to the idea that its ok for ethnic minorities or disabled people making jokes about their own, when its not acceptable for others

I disagree. In the above example context and intent are everything.

As a gay man I've laughed at some off colour remarks about gay people made by gay comedians, and I'm struggling to articulate it but if the motivation of the person telling the joke isn't malicious then it isn't offensive.

That's just a personal opinion, others may disagree.

Explain to me why?

It is not hypocrisy at all. It is about the power dynamic that exists behind the word. For centuries the n-word was used with cruelty and impunity to subjugate the black race. It was employed from a position of power to dehumanise, label and control. For black people to reclaim that word and use it is to effectively state we reject that archaic power dynamic and will no longer be subjugated by it.

It is a political point that cannot be made by white people because they have no history of being subjugated by the word.

To be honest buck if a black guy called me a n***** he'd get a punch on the nose.
You don't live in America, boyfriday. Black people privately buck the system among themselves. The wife of a black friend of mine, of many years, calls him it frequently in my presence , usually in fun, but sometimes not. Basketball games, Amateur or Pro, ring with the sound of it when the trash talk starts.:)

Archived