When is it acceptable to make jokes?

Heard the one about the Irish bloke who studied for his urine test, brought a roll of toilet paper to a crap game?

Just making a point that jokes are aimed at white people also. Often when it comes to "thick" jokes it's generally Irish or Polish who are on the receiving end.

Scots have been the object of "stingy" jokes for ever.

as the title suggests, but....

is it acceptable for a black person to make a joke mocking black people.

would it be acceptable for a person of asian origin to do the same.

Where is the line drawn, just wondering as sometimes i publicly see these kind of jokes being made, and laughed at, but if a white person makes a joke about black people, its usually a bit taboo..

the list goes on..disabled people on this forum is classic!!

Chris Rocks jokes about "n****z" is hilarious to the predominantly black audience.

You don't live in America, boyfriday. Black people privately buck the system among themselves. The wife of a black friend of mine, of many years, calls him it frequently in my presence , usually in fun, but sometimes not. Basketball games, Amateur or Pro, ring with the sound of it when the trash talk starts.:)

Apologies buck, I didn't mean to sound like I was lecturing you :)

I know some blacks in the US (and here) regard it as some kind of filial greeting, that's fine if it works for them. It must be a generational thing, I can't think of any black folks my age or older who would regard the term affectionately, but that's probably because we've experience of it being used offensively against us, whereas the youth less so as the word really became taboo in the 80's.

I went to see Django Unchained with my uncle, another black friend and a white one, as you'll know the screenplay (written by a white guy) is littered with the N word, it was rather ironic that other audience members seemed to be waiting for us to start laughing before they stopped shuffling awkwardly in their seats and enjoyed the film for what it was...damn good entertainment!

---------- Post added 12-03-2013 at 16:43 ----------

Chris Rocks jokes about "n****z" is hilarious to the predominantly black audience.

I like Chris Rock, but do wince at some of his more lary language..he routinely refers to blacks as n****** and whites as crackers. Personally I think it's inappropriate for him to use the latter to a predominantly black audience, if he's going to use it at all..it's akin to raising the rabble.

I found the clip very funny by the way, and he echoes what most decent, law abiding black people think!

Surely calling someone the N word can only be taken as racist if the offender is of another race. So if a Jamaican was to call an African a N, the Jamaican would be being racist, so colour as nothing to do with it really. If a Jamaican said it to another Jamaican how can it be racism?

Surely calling someone the N word can only be taken as racist if the offender is of another race. So if a Jamaican was to call an African a N, the Jamaican would be being racist, so colour as nothing to do with it really. If a Jamaican said it to another Jamaican how can it be racism?

I don't think the issue is whether it's racist or not, it's whether it's acceptable or not.

---------- Post added 12-03-2013 at 16:51 ----------

I'm still waiting for my dear friend poppins to make a contribution ;)

Whether it's perceived as racist or not would depend on the racial origins of the person using it and the person it's used against, as you suggest.

Whether it's offensive or not doesn't depend on a person's racial background.

Whether it's perceived as racist or not would depend on the racial origins of the person using it and the person it's used against, as you suggest.

Whether it's offensive or not doesn't depend on a person's racial background.

Yes it does. A white person doesn't have the right to get offended on a black person's behalf if the black person hasn't taken offence.

I have a issue on the forum which i have complained about, but appears to have fell on deaf ears, probably because the person who has offended me has a position of authority on the forum, but naming and shaming is banned, so i wont break the rules.

If a forum user offends you do not frequent forums.Why be offended by a virtual being?

Yes it does. A white person doesn't have the right to get offended on a black person's behalf if the black person hasn't taken offence.

Nonsense. I - as can any other person anywhere of any racial heritage whatsoever - can choose to take offence at anything I wish to.

---------- Post added 12-03-2013 at 17:20 ----------

What if they're not in the room? Are you seriously trying to telll me that if I overhear a colleague referring to a black colleague as 'ni**er' that I shouldn't be offended by that - even if the black colleague is unaware of it?

How about if I'm in the pub - no black people present - and I hear a group of blokes referring to black people as 'ni**ers'?

You're off your rocker if you think I have no right to be offended by that.

Archived