When is it acceptable to make jokes?

Yes it does. A white person doesn't have the right to get offended on a black person's behalf if the black person hasn't taken offence.

It's not about the right of a white person to get offended on someone else's behalf. More to the point, not all people are going to respond the same just because they share the same skin colour.

Heard the one about the Irish bloke who studied for his urine test, brought a roll of toilet paper to a crap game?

Just making a point that jokes are aimed at white people also. Often when it comes to "thick" jokes it's generally Irish or Polish who are on the receiving end.

Scots have been the object of "stingy" jokes for ever.

This confirms that Americans have a strange sense of humour.

Yes it does. A white person doesn't have the right to get offended on a black person's behalf if the black person hasn't taken offence.

If I encounter racism I am offended whether the perceived targets of that racism are present or not.

I have been pretty vocal on several homophobic and Islamaphobic threads on this forum and I am neither gay nor Muslim.

Discrimination, in all of its forms, is ignorant, unjust and vindictive. It offends me that members of my species consider it appropriate and that it continues to blight our ability to reach the full extent of civilisation that our intellect demands.

I have every right to be offended on my own behalf.

This confirms that Americans have a strange sense of humour.

All the jokes I heard starting "There was an Englishman, an Irishman and a Scotsman" were picked up in England where I was growing up as a kid.

Later in Canada the jokes were about French-Canadians

Jokes should be accepted for what they are, a bit of harmless fun.

All jokes? Really?

Type racist jokes into Google and you'll see why many go way further than harmless fun.

Watch clips of Bernard Manning at his most hate-filled on YouTube. I don't even feel comfortable providing links to this stuff.

Political correctness gets much maligned in today's society but we should never forget the important changes it ushered through in the eighties. Not to mention the vile, shameful and discriminatory attitudes it, quite rightly, consigned to the landfill of social history.

It is sad that in times of economic hardship resentments always seem to bubble to the surface as regressive and divisive points of view.

All jokes? Really?

Yes ALL of them, because I have the sense to know that if someone said to me....

Did you hear about the black man, Irish man, or whats dead and ect... That it is said as a joke, and the person saying it to me thought it was harmless fun, it usually follows with a punchline which the teller finds funny, whether I find it funny is different, because my sense of humour may not be the same, however I can't knock that person because at the end of the day they thought they were telling a harmless joke not intending to hurt my feelings.

Yes ALL of them, because I have the sense to know that if someone said to me....

Did you hear about the black man, Irish man, or whats dead and ect... That it is said as a joke, and the person saying it to me thought it was harmless fun, it usually follows with a punchline which the teller finds funny, whether I find it funny is different, because my sense of humour may not be the same, however I can't knock that person because at the end of the day they thought they were telling a harmless joke not intending to hurt my feelings.

Firstly, discriminatory jokes rely upon and reinforce negative stereotypes.

The following quote is from The Psychology of Humor: An Integrative Approach -

...there is considerable evidence that disparagement humour, such as that found in sexist and racist jokes, is enjoyed partly because it enables people to express negative sentiments and attitudes towards the target groups in a manner that is perceived to be socially acceptable.

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=ieAcp2Z_zkIC&pg=PA141&lpg=PA141&dq=study+racist+and+sexist+jokes&source=bl&ots=cvhBQlxaSJ&sig=YipU2nMRKsqDXY8tD1PxGE4PbJs&hl=en&sa=X&ei=ccU_UYP3OebC0QWm3IG4Bw&ved=0CFwQ6AEwBQ#v=onepage&q=study%20racist%20and%20sexist%20jokes&f=false

How do you decide what is and what is not harmless? If I remember rightly the phrase 'harmless fun' used to be bandied around an awful lot in the 70s as justification for racism, sexual assault, bullying and a whole host of other abuses.

Do you accept that your personal barometer of the offensive is not universal?

If you consider it harmless to make jokes about social groups, do you also consider it harmless to focus upon individuals as targets for demeaning and disparaging humour based upon their personal issues/characteristics?

What if the jokes that you deem harmless are perceived by the person on the receiving end as part of a sustained campaign that made their life miserable?

It is clearly harmful to transmit the notion, by telling a disparaging joke and/or laughing, that it is okay to demean.

Nonsense. I - as can any other person anywhere of any racial heritage whatsoever - can choose to take offence at anything I wish to.

---------- Post added 12-03-2013 at 17:20 ----------

What if they're not in The question now isroom? Are you seriously trying to telll me that if I overhear a colleague referring to a black colleague as 'ni**er' that I shouldn't be offended by that - even if the black colleague is unaware of it?

How about if I'm in the pub - no black people present - and I hear a group of blokes referring to black people as 'ni**ers'?

You're off your rocker if you think I have no right to be offended by that.

The question now is if you were in that pub, and offended, would you stick your nose in and challenge the offenders? That would be the act of a true offendee, and of course, stupid.

Archived