When is it acceptable to make jokes?

I have a issue on the forum which i have complained about, but appears to have fell on deaf ears**, probably because the person who has offended me has a position of authority on the forum, but naming and shaming is banned, so i wont break the rules.

** Joke unfair to those hard of hearing?

But being Irish is not a racial characteristic; there's no such 'race' as 'Irish'.

Nationality, yes.

Is it acceptable to make such jokes and should they be classed in the same or similar category as those at the expense of coloured people ?

I know some Irish people are offended by being addressed as Paddy.

** Joke unfair to those hard of hearing?

No, because it wasn't a joke, merely a figure of speech.

---------- Post added 14-03-2013 at 00:34 ----------

If I encounter racism I am offended whether the perceived targets of that racism are present or not.

I have been pretty vocal on several homophobic and Islamaphobic threads on this forum and I am neither gay nor Muslim.

Discrimination, in all of its forms, is ignorant, unjust and vindictive. It offends me that members of my species consider it appropriate and that it continues to blight our ability to reach the full extent of civilisation that our intellect demands.

I have every right to be offended on my own behalf.

Well said. And all your other posts on this topic, too.

Archived