When is it acceptable to make jokes?

as the title suggests, but....

is it acceptable for a black person to make a joke mocking black people.

would it be acceptable for a person of asian origin to do the same.

Where is the line drawn, just wondering as sometimes i publicly see these kind of jokes being made, and laughed at, but if a white person makes a joke about black people, its usually a bit taboo..

the list goes on..disabled people on this forum is classic!!

I told a stiffy joke at a funeral once.

At a different funeral i asked if anyone else could hear any knocking coming from the coffin.

Suffice to say im not popular with the family.

What's a 'true offendee'?
What's the silly hat for?

---------- Post added 14-03-2013 at 11:51 ----------

This confirms that Americans have a strange sense of humour.
And you lot have a strange sense of humor. I hope you have gotten over the monkey sounds at the Lane or Hilsborough.

If your audience finds it funny then it's acceptable by definition.

What is acceptable to an audience composed entirely of Combat 18 members would probably not be acceptable to the wider population.

Does your rationale still hold up if you apply it not just to jokes but to ideas and philosophies? How about if you apply it to acts of violence or hatred? Are all these things, by definition, acceptable because they have audiences that approve of them?

The following clip shows a teenage bully happy slapping (vile phrase) a boy with learning difficulties. http://www.parentdish.co.uk/2013/03/14/schoolboy-arrested-after-attack-on-boy-with-learning-difficulties-facebook-school-bus/?icid=maing-grid7%7Cukt1%7Cdl6%7Csec1_lnk3%26pLid%3D163139

Is is acceptable because it is being filmed by an audience who finds it funny?

Apologies if you were just making a semantic point but, in the context of the discussion, any validation whatsoever of discriminatory abuses is unhelpful.

Mikem8635

Are you totally against jokes?

No, not at all, just discriminatory and disparaging ones that rely upon laughing at someone who is, by mechanism of that type of humour, designated as an inferior other.

What I am against is having an extra 1 added to my username for no good godamn reason.:D

---------- Post added 14-03-2013 at 18:59 ----------

It dunt have to be if all whose there are combat 18 members.

Not quite sure what you're getting at here.

I was making the point that just because there is an audience who appreciates a joke/idea/activity it does not make it acceptable in the wider social context of the word.

Archived