Universal Credit

Guest makapaka
7 hours ago, RiffRaff said:

On the BBC News web page today, part of a documentary regarding Universal Credit.

"I think it's worth getting a job, but to be honest, I wouldn't know where to start".... but the 34 year old has been on Jobseeker's Allowance for an undisclosed amount of time, and signing on every fortnight. Does she not have to complete the job search record?

On the subject of not having a job, the reason given is "It's more fear that I'm gonna do wrong and they're going to get rid of me."

Doesn't it occur to her that every employee has the same feeling?!

"I've always been on Jobseeker's - it's the right thing to do now..."

The right thing to do! Try and get a job, you mean!

Nope.

She meant switch to Universal Credit....

God help us.

Stunning example of someone’s complete inability to understand someone else’s situation and the lack of help to resolve it.

8 hours ago, RiffRaff said:

On the BBC News web page today, part of a documentary regarding Universal Credit.

"I think it's worth getting a job, but to be honest, I wouldn't know where to start".... but the 34 year old has been on Jobseeker's Allowance for an undisclosed amount of time, and signing on every fortnight. Does she not have to complete the job search record?

On the subject of not having a job, the reason given is "It's more fear that I'm gonna do wrong and they're going to get rid of me."

Doesn't it occur to her that every employee has the same feeling?!

"I've always been on Jobseeker's - it's the right thing to do now..."

The right thing to do! Try and get a job, you mean!

Nope.

She meant switch to Universal Credit....

God help us.

That’s one person.

One situation.

Maybe you should think about the bigger picture.

Whilst you are expanding your mind, try taking in the scale of tax evasion that we all suffer from. It far outweighs this stuff.

This woman wound me up.  I thought benefits were some kind of safety net.  Not free cash to buy treats like modern mobile phones because her old on was "like a brick" and getting her hair done.

"i do think its right that we treat ourselves" she says.

Yeah, not with taxpayers money though.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/stories-51389481/universal-credit-i-went-wild-and-it-hit-me-like-a-ton-of-bricks

Edited by alchresearch

29 minutes ago, alchresearch said:

This woman wound me up.  I thought benefits were some kind of safety net.  Not free cash to buy treats like modern mobile phones because her old on was "like a brick" and getting her hair done.

"i do think its right that we treat ourselves" she says.

Yeah, not with taxpayers money though.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/stories-51389481/universal-credit-i-went-wild-and-it-hit-me-like-a-ton-of-bricks

Is a modern mobile phone really a 'cash treat' or is it a necessary tool for modern life and work?

Why I do I get the feeling you think the poor should be dressed in rags and living in the gutter?

The benefit system in this country is to live on, not to have luxuries, you have to work for those. has some people got the idea that being on benefits you should have luxuries like a mobile phone having a few pints in the pub etc .

The days when you are better off on the dole than working, are slowly coming to a end.

The benefits are for necessities to live on, not for add ons.

that is the governments approach to benefits, irrespective of what anybody els thinks.       

37 minutes ago, Halibut said:

Is a modern mobile phone really a 'cash treat' or is it a necessary tool for modern life and work?

Why I do I get the feeling you think the poor should be dressed in rags and living in the gutter?

There is a big different between thinking 'the poor' should be dressed in rags and living in the gutter, and taking umbrage at people using tax payers money to buy themselves treats. 

I think having a mobile these days is a pretty necessary tool, but there is a huge spectrum for the types and costs of phones. Without knowing which phone was bought it not possible to judge whether it was waste of money. 

Guest makapaka
1 hour ago, Robin-H said:

There is a big different between thinking 'the poor' should be dressed in rags and living in the gutter, and taking umbrage at people using tax payers money to buy themselves treats. 

I think having a mobile these days is a pretty necessary tool, but there is a huge spectrum for the types and costs of phones. Without knowing which phone was bought it not possible to judge whether it was waste of money. 

I agree there has to be a balance - you have to keep people incentivised to work and if you are able to get on benefits what someone else has to work 40hrs a week for you're not gonna get that.

that said- there are certain things now which people need that may once have been seen as a "nice to have" which are now necessary - a mobile phone being one of them.

1 hour ago, Robin-H said:

I think having a mobile these days is a pretty necessary tool, but there is a huge spectrum for the types and costs of phones.

Without knowing which phone was bought it not possible to judge whether it was waste of money. 

4 mins 10 seconds in .  It looks remarkably like an iphone 11 - cut out section at the top of the screen, no visible buttons on the bottom - RRP  £729 at Argos.

26 minutes ago, makapaka said:

I agree there has to be a balance - you have to keep people incentivised to work and if you are able to get on benefits what someone else has to work 40hrs a week for you're not gonna get that.

that said- there are certain things now which people need that may once have been seen as a "nice to have" which are now necessary - a mobile phone being one of them.

A mobile phone yes, but I think it does matter what type of mobile. It's possible to buy mobile phones for way under £100 that have all the necessary functionality. I haven't watched the programme, so can't corroborate alchresearch's suggestion that it is an iPhone 11, although if it has a cut out section at the top of the screen it sure does sound like one... Buying top of the range stuff like that with other people's money is problematic.