Dear Forum.. Assaulted by a doorman

So if I saw the bouncer walking towards a woman, I could presume he was going to assault her and use reasonable force against him?

If he'd just shouted something about "sorting it out" and appeared to be aggressive, yes you could.

I don't know. Only LoobyLou knows.

I thought she made it pretty clear.

You should have just got in the taxi.You said lets sort this out and walked upto the doorman,he felt threatened and his mate pushed you away, so you could not hit said doorman.You then tripped or fell has you was drunk and banged your head.CCTV will have conveniently been erased.I woudnt waste your time.

You charmer.

Wish her a cancer. Go on. Really get your bile out.

its no less than she wishes the other chap.

---------- Post added 13-03-2013 at 20:03 ----------

So if I saw the bouncer walking towards a woman, I could presume he was going to assault her and use reasonable force against him?

you could, but you wouldn`t.

its no less than she wishes the other chap.

She wishes it upon a man who has caused her physical harm. You're just someone on the internet reading her story. It's unnecessary.

Haven't bouncers got jobs to do, and careers that they put a risk, to be getting involved with arguments on the street that have no concern to them?

you could, but you wouldn`t.

You shouldn't. :)

She wishes it upon a man who has caused her physical harm. You're just someone on the internet reading her story. It's unnecessary.

She wishes it upon someone who simply pushed her. She hasn't yet explained what exactly she was intending to do to "sort out" the problem with the other girl...

Haven't bouncers got jobs to do, and careers that they put a risk, to be getting involved with arguments on the street that have no concern to them?

You shouldn't. :)

They have the right to intervene to protect someone from assault just like everyone has.

she wishes it on some man just doing his job dealing with drunken yobs like the OP.

I`ll bet if the OP was a man you wouldn`t be quite so supportive.

Thank you so much for your kind words and best wishes :)

I do have a case number but no details of the officer who came to visit me. I too hope the thug loses his licence. He's attacked me, who might be next?

You were on your way to batter another person, I think we all know who the thug is here.........

IT'S YOU BTW.

She wishes it upon someone who simply pushed her.

That's one narrative.

The other is that the bouncer attacked her for no reason.

They have the right to intervene to protect someone from assault just like everyone has.

But an assault didn't occur - it was a presumption that was made. It could've been a drunken shout at each other and no more. They certainly don't have the right to push people over for arguing with someone.

So we have this grey area. Intent to assault someone and drunkenly responding to someone swearing are not automatically the same thing.

That's one narrative.

The other is that the bouncer attacked her for no reason.

That's not even how she described it... There's the benefit of the doubt, but I think you've strayed into wishful thinking.

But an assault didn't occur - it was a presumption that was made.

That's how the law works. You only have to have an honest belief that it's going to happen to legally have the right to intervene.

It could've been a drunken shout at each other and no more. They certainly don't have the right to push people over for arguing with someone.

Even the OP described that she was walking towards the other person. Not 'standing shouting'.

So we have this grey area. Intent to assault someone and drunkenly responding to someone swearing are not automatically the same thing.

It's the belief of the bouncer that matters (were this to be a court), his defence (and one that is legally acceptable) is that he honestly believed that an assault was about to take place, and he acted to defend the person.

He didn't even use very much force did he. It's not like he punched or kicked. A push in order to stop an assault sounds like reasonable force to me.

Archived