Sheffield a good place to grow old in?

I have heard of a few couples who thought it great to retire to some hill top house out in the wilds of Spain only to realise that once you lose your mobility or ability to drive, you are basically stuck and really have to relocate usually back to Britain.

Yea, but considering you can retire at 60-65 and if you keep yorself well you won't need a nursing home until you're 80-85 you'll still get 20 or so years of nice quiet living. Plus you'll probably learn Spanish as well.

Sounds like a good choice to me.

One great benefit for older people in Sheffield is that the city has the largest University of the Third Age (U3A) in the country: http://sheffieldu3a.org.uk/index.html

I've just been on their website and it really does look excellent. Something for everyone.

We also have a lot of individual societies for people with particular needs such as the Sheffield Royal Society for the Blind (and visually Impaired People or VIPs as they are known) on Mappin Street. They also have a lot of interest and support groups.

Cheers bewerley:)

How are you going to move it forwards? Its such a good idea it needs a push.

Mc Donald's gets business because of its free wifi and being able to take a McPee without any black looks. Surely any business that wants walk-in traffic would welcome this idea.

There is a downside of course the public use of toilets for some reason leads to disgusting clean-up problems so a Business rate discount would compensate.

I have never understood why public toilets suffer from such mistreatment.

Based on snippets of information I've gleaned on here regarding social care given to the elderly, and they seem quite ready to take all your savings compared with other councils, I'd live in Derbyshire or Rotherham. As sheff fitness has alluded to, if you are well off, live in a nice area, and are fit as a flea, Sheffield would be a nice place to retire.

Archived