Gas bill, this can't be right.

We're with EDF, and our monthly payment to them was £70; I paid towards this but the direct debit is my partners so any correspondence is to her.

Yesterday she received a letter stating that the monthly payment was to increase massively to £380!!! after a phone call this was reduced to £160 but we have a bill of over £2000 to clear, but thankfully they have allowed us time to pay this off.

They say we havent been paying enough for our apparent high energy use, £70 was too low a figure which is why we have built arrears of over £2000, but our meters get regularly read by some guy who comes round with the hand held thingy, and £70 is the what they're charging us and so thats what we've paying.

Why should we suffer for this miscalculation on their part?

You should move out of the castle because they are drafty and expensive to keep warm.

That use is rediculous unless you're just burning it in the back garden with a giant torch?

Gas is 3-4p a cubic meter, so you've really gotta be hammering it to get through the amount you have.

Get your old bills out, and check you meter reading.

Also check if it's an oldschool meter which reads in feet not meters.

That use is rediculous unless you're just burning it in the back garden with a giant torch?

Gas is 3-4p a cubic meter, so you've really gotta be hammering it to get through the amount you have.

Get your old bills out, and check you meter reading.

Also check if it's an oldschool meter which reads in feet not meters.

Gas is about 4-5 p per KWH http://www.britishgas.co.uk/products-and-services/gas-and-electricity/our-energy-tariffs/tariff-rates.html ..there's about 11kwh in a m3 so that makes it about 45-55p per m3... I think anyway...

---------- Post added 13-03-2013 at 21:21 ----------

We're with EDF, and our monthly payment to them was £70; I paid towards this but the direct debit is my partners so any correspondence is to her.

Yesterday she received a letter stating that the monthly payment was to increase massively to £380!!! after a phone call this was reduced to £160 but we have a bill of over £2000 to clear, but thankfully they have allowed us time to pay this off.

They say we havent been paying enough for our apparent high energy use, £70 was apparently too low a figure which is why we have built arrears of over £2000, but our meters get regularly read by some guy who comes round with the hand held thingy, and £70 is the what they're charging us and so thats what we've been paying. What have we done wrong??

Why should we suffer for this miscalculation on their part?

If you've used the gas then you'll have to pay I suppose..did you ever check the readings that appeared on your bill against the actual meter reading and do your own calculation of your usage?

Gas is about 4-5 p per KWH http://www.britishgas.co.uk/products-and-services/gas-and-electricity/our-energy-tariffs/tariff-rates.html ..there's about 11kwh in a m3 so that makes it about 45-55p per m3... I think anyway...

---------- Post added 13-03-2013 at 21:21 ----------

If you've used the gas then you'll have to pay I suppose..did you ever check the readings that appeared on your bill against the actual meter reading and do your own calculation of your usage?

I'm with Ovo energy who only have 4 tarrifs.I have a simple spread sheet and regularly take readings and check costs.Although I have rounded up the 3 decimal places for my own use.

how long has this debt built up over- if its more than 12 months then they really should have reviewed your payments before now.

If its less than 6 months i would question the bill- how can you use £2000 worth of gas in 12 months??

This happened to my parents over a few months, but they lived in a massive old single glazed cottage with an Aga which settings were broken so it was only ever on HOT HOT HOT, and then of course the heat would leak out of the house. They got approx £2,000 in debit in less than 6 months.

how long has this debt built up over- if its more than 12 months then they really should have reviewed your payments before now.

If its less than 6 months i would question the bill- how can you use £2000 worth of gas in 12 months??

Over 6 months it is difficult but not out of the question, over 12 months it is fairly easy depending on size of house and how many women you have in that hose who DO NOT understand how thermostats work!!!

I'm with OVO and my bills for combined gas and elec have just been put up to £231 a month. Bit difficult to turn the thermostat down when I work at home during the day and my other half is on medication which makes him feel the cold more than most. According to OVO we too have been underpaying which is why they've put our monthly bill up, to cover an increased useage now and pay off a bit of the backlog each month. I wish we'd picked it up earlier, but like a previous post we trusted that having our meters read regularly was covering it. No treats for us for a while then!:(

Archived