Sheffields Beer Festival march 13 to 16th

Fantastic atmosphere last night. This is the first time SIBA have held an event at Ponds Forge and the other two beer festivals were held by Camra. The bar is around 30 metres in length, so it was easy to get served.

I would definately recommend a visit, quality facilities, quality atmosphere and quality drink to be had by all

plenty of beers on the list - 500+ in fact. but only 68 handpumps and about 30 keg fonts to serve them through. of the 10 beers on my 'wishlist', approximately none were available last night...

although i understand what you mean the term 'only' seems a little harsh when there's around 100 pumps to choose from! just luck of the draw as to what's on when you're there i suppose

going to have a look along this evening, should be good!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Claret

Well I went last night and enjoyed! There's a LOT of beer... surely enough to keep everyone happy??

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

certainly enough to make everyone happy!

Aye. Good point. Although I do think there's no pleasing some people!!

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

although i understand what you mean the term 'only' seems a little harsh when there's around 100 pumps to choose from! just luck of the draw as to what's on when you're there i suppose

going to have a look along this evening, should be good!

possibly a little harsh - but then again the Beard And Gut Society fest says 200(?) beers, and all are available at once, whereas SIBA advertise a choice of 500 but 'only' 100 available at a time, so in fact less choice!

tbh I was a bit unlucky as I went with an agenda of what I wanted to drink (i.e. the breweries I'd not tried before) and none were on... if you're going to just try a few beers then you'll find summat worth drinking

no Buxton Beers in there at all by the look of it. That's a shame - local company with fantastic beers and not represented.

Should be plenty of others to take ones fancy though! But I do love Buxton Beer - especially Axe Edge!

Axe Edge and Buxton SPA are on the keg list.

Regards

Doom

---------- Post added 16-03-2013 at 07:49 ----------

The Axe Edge was keeping Marble Dobber company last night......Both on keg and both very pleasant.

The Axe Edge was replaced by Dark Star Revelation.....Not a shoddy replacement.

Needless to say I have a sore head this morning.

Regards

Doom

I went on the Friday Night and I have to say that I was very disappointd by the selection of Ales on offer. It was not a patch on the CAMRA Festival and I would not want any person thinking of attending the CAMRA event to be put off. I took a couple of new Real Ale Fans with me and needed to reassure them that the CAMRA festival was far superior for choice.

One other thing, keeping the tweet screen on whilst the band was playing was appalling. Fine while no band was one but once they stared it should have been switched off. No wonder their set was so short!

It depends on your expectation, the beer festival element of Siba's BeerX delivered a range of good beers to try across all three formats (cask, keg and bottle) delivered in a very smart fashion and there seemed to be a reasonably good atmosphere there.

CAMRA's Steel City Beer Festival is currently planned for the same venue for 23rd to 26th October and will be a similar format to last year with a big central bar with all the beers on together, a mix of local brewery showcases and interesting guests from further afield plus cider, live music and stalls. There is also talk of new initiatives to improve the visitor experience such as having a cloak room.

In the mean time there is Doncaster beer festival in April, Barrow Hill in May, Three Valleys (Dronfield) in June, Derby in July amongst others - see http://www.camra.org.uk.

Archived