Sheffield Clarion Ramblers

peterw

hiya inreference to the workmen thaat found the gold sovereigns at clarion bridge, i'll tell you how it happend, it was the 27th december 1958 and the coins were found in the wall on the left hand side of the bridge wall, the men were sent to repair it as it was falling down on the inside i seem to think a car had damaged it over christmas when the workmen were taking the loose stones to start rebuilding the wall, under one stone were the coins, (not in a bag but loose there were 98 full sovereigns and 2 half sovereigns. after they were handed over it was returned as treasure trove and the two workmen recieved £ 316 each how do i know well i was one of the two workmen,the coins were mainly 1800s and one or two early 1900.

Thank you for the above info.

The land up to the bridge belonged to the Sheffield Clarion Club House.There is a Clarion web site that I and my daughter have been compiling which contains details about the club house and land at Dore Moor. you will find it if you are interested by by entering 'sheffield clarion movement ' into 'Yahoo' .

I myself spent many happy hours in my wellington boots playing in the stream under the bridge and never found a penny !!.

It was a very dangerous at the bend in the road which went over the top of the bridge, there were many accidents there over the years. I have been in touch with someone whos father was killed on this bridge in 1960 , he was riding a motor bike, so its nice to hear a happier story. I believe that the road was widened and made safer some time after this accident.

With your permission I would like to include your information about the bridge in the web site also.

Thank you for the above info.

The land up to the bridge belonged to the Sheffield Clarion Club House.There is a Clarion web site that I and my daughter have been compiling which contains details about the club house and land at Dore Moor. you will find it if you are interested by by entering 'sheffield clarion movement ' into 'Yahoo' .

I myself spent many happy hours in my wellington boots playing in the stream under the bridge and never found a penny !!.

It was a very dangerous at the bend in the road which went over the top of the bridge, there were many accidents there over the years. I have been in touch with someone whos father was killed on this bridge in 1960 , he was riding a motor bike, so its nice to hear a happier story. I believe that the road was widened and made safer some time after this accident.

With your permission I would like to include your information about the bridge in the web site also.

hiya by all means you have my permission, another snippet about that day in december 1958 my mate and me were dropped off at the bridge all we were told was to repair the damage at first we looked at the right side buttress it looked as if a crash had happened some time before the top square stone was twisted and there was no way we could have put that right.i seem to remember that day when we were dropped off around 8.30 am the drivers mate said ill be back for you a at 12 when we asked why he said we're due for snow around that time, and he was right it started about 11 i'd never seen it snow as much in such a short time, when i asked how he knew he said the signs were in the clouds, he was a country lad from totley called percy. a little more useless info sorry.

Edited by willybite

I've recently discovered the Sheffield Clarion Ramblers and a web search lead me this thread. I notice that nothing new appears to have been posted for quite a few months. Has any progress been made with the proposed web site, also I can't find any word of the planned downloads from Moors For The Future.

P.S.

If anyone has any handbooks that they would like to sell, please get in touch.

I've recently discovered the Sheffield Clarion Ramblers and a web search lead me this thread. I notice that nothing new appears to have been posted for quite a few months. Has any progress been made with the proposed web site, also I can't find any word of the planned downloads from Moors For The Future.

P.S.

If anyone has any handbooks that they would like to sell, please get in touch.

I have1930,1931,1934,1937 & 1947 in good condition.Make an offer.

Reply to MikeP57, could you send me a 'pm' with your email, I can't send you a 'pm' as this is only my second post on the forum, apparently I need to have 5 before I can 'pm' anyone! Looking forward to hearing from you.

hiya by all means you have my permission, another snippet about that day in december 1958 my mate and me were dropped off at the bridge all we were told was to repair the damage at first we looked at the right side buttress it looked as if a crash had happened some time before the top square stone was twisted and there was no way we could have put that right.i seem to remember that day when we were dropped off around 8.30 am the drivers mate said ill be back for you a at 12 when we asked why he said we're due for snow around that time, and he was right it started about 11 i'd never seen it snow as much in such a short time, when i asked how he knew he said the signs were in the clouds, he was a country lad from totley called percy. a little more useless info sorry.

you have given me the name of your work mate , will you give me yours for the web site ? Were you working for Sheffield council at the time? My husband was a bricklayer for Sheffield council works department at this time

you have given me the name of your work mate , will you give me yours for the web site ? Were you working for Sheffield council at the time? My husband was a bricklayer for Sheffield council works department at this time

hiya my name is bill white, i worked for three years or so for the city engineers dept until nov 1958 i was 21 by this time, also when my cheque arrived from the british museum i had to send it back as the name on it was william waite.

Edited by willybite

hiya my name is bill white, i worked for three years or so for the city engineers dept until nov 1958 i was 21 by this time, also when my cheque arrived from the british museum i had to send it back as the name on it was william waite.also when i told my grandmother of the find she said she remembers my granddad having one gold sovereign for a weeks work.

Edited by willybite

You should have been up there in 1947. the snow then was 10ft deep .

No one could get through to the stewards who lived at the Clarion club house for over a week . My father and another clarion member followed the first snow plough on foot carrying food supplies for them .

If you remember this area-- I can tell you the snow came above the Door Moor inn which is situated further down the Hathersage Rd towards Sheffield .

That was a real winter !! I was 12 at the time , but I still remember it, and we have never had a winter as bad for so long a period since

hiya my name is bill white, i worked for three years or so for the city engineers dept until nov 1959 i was 21 by this time, also when my cheque arrived from the british museum i had to send it back as the name on it was william waite.also when i told my grandmother of the find she said shee remembers my granddad having one gold sovereign for a weeks work.

Thanks for the name