Sheffield Clarion Ramblers

peterw

Hi Albert,

Are you entering it all into 'address', 3rd line down from top of screen ? then click go at end of line.

You do not enter it into 'Google' .

will send you it again in an e-mail.

Gaye: Look two post back ( #060 ):- I've posted it!!

(Hope I've done right. If I haven't, tell me and I'll take it off.

Then you can come and give me a good nagging for being a nosey old sod !!.

• 5 months later...

Hi

This is my first attempt at entering a forum. I came across this thread whilst trying to find information about my father- in -law and his many involvements in the Clarion and Sheffield Ramblers from 1920's up to his death in 1974. My husband's parents were Lucy North and Cyril Peacock and for many years before they married they were very keen walkers and joined the clarion group and the went on with others to become the Ramblers. I have a handbook belonging to Cyril from 1930 and he became social secretary for many years. A very keen and active walker and photographer he gave many a slide show and lecture on the Dales, Lakes and Scotland. I know very little about this quiet unassuming man and would be pleased to hear if anyone has any knowledge or info about him

• 2 weeks later...
Hi

This is my first attempt at entering a forum. I came across this thread whilst trying to find information about my father- in -law and his many involvements in the Clarion and Sheffield Ramblers from 1920's up to his death in 1974. My husband's parents were Lucy North and Cyril Peacock and for many years before they married they were very keen walkers and joined the clarion group and the went on with others to become the Ramblers. I have a handbook belonging to Cyril from 1930 and he became social secretary for many years. A very keen and active walker and photographer he gave many a slide show and lecture on the Dales, Lakes and Scotland. I know very little about this quiet unassuming man and would be pleased to hear if anyone has any knowledge or info about him

I will have a good look to see if I can assist.

Is any information obtainable from the 1930 Handbook?

Hi

Sorry about the e-mail that came first as I had not seen your posting on the forum until no. the above title is that of the 1929/30 rather tatty handbook and inside are the following names

President Mr W. S. Sanderson......

Vice Pres. Mr G H Roberts (Sen)....

Treasurer C W Womersley ....

Secretary Mr W S Jackson....

Ass. Sec. Mr G h Casson....

Book Editor Mr G H Roberts (Jun).....

Auditors Mr C Peacock and Mr A Platts

etc

I also have a "Ramblers Association" Area News page from Autumn 1974 From the then Hon. Secretary Mr W N Norton which ican send by e-mail attachment if it helps. In brief it refers to his soon to be wife Lucy North , The Wichman Sisters, Norton's cousin Alfred, whom I believe left the Clarion Ramblers to become the Sheffield Rambling Club. The letter then tells us that he becane social secretary and thirty and more years later he was the secretary of the Halycon Rambling club. Anyway I don't know if this helps but thanks for taking the trouble to reply

T. Peacock

Hi

Sorry about the e-mail that came first as I had not seen your posting on the forum until no. the above title is that of the 1929/30 rather tatty handbook and inside are the following names

President Mr W. S. Sanderson......

Vice Pres. Mr G H Roberts (Sen)....

Treasurer C W Womersley ....

Secretary Mr W S Jackson....

Ass. Sec. Mr G h Casson....

Book Editor Mr G H Roberts (Jun).....

Auditors Mr C Peacock and Mr A Platts

etc

I also have a "Ramblers Association" Area News page from Autumn 1974 From the then Hon. Secretary Mr W N Norton which ican send by e-mail attachment if it helps. In brief it refers to his soon to be wife Lucy North , The Wichman Sisters, Norton's cousin Alfred, whom I believe left the Clarion Ramblers to become the Sheffield Rambling Club. The letter then tells us that he becane social secretary and thirty and more years later he was the secretary of the Halycon Rambling club. Anyway I don't know if this helps but thanks for taking the trouble to reply

T. Peacock

Could that be "G W Womersley"??? He was my grandfather and my family all say he was involved in the Clarion Ramblers..

Yes I believe so, think they were all keen ramblers and the tatty handbook I have has poems and articles by G W Womersley I may be able to copy some of them on my scanner but the book is very delicate from age and is actually crumbling . If I do and you would like to have them then let me have your e-mail, it may be a few days time before I can get them done

T Peacock

What a great number of people are not aware of is. That had it not been for the activities of the Sheffield Clarion Rambling Club, formed by G.B.H.Ward in 1900 whilst also the first secretary of the Sheffield Labour Party. Along with the enormous assistance given by the then Mis Ethel Ward, the daughter of Thos Ward (Scrap Dealer) who became Mrs Ethel Gallimore, who became a widow in 1916 during the first world war before forming the Council for the Protection of local Scenery later to become the C.P.R.E. ( Sheffield and Peak District) and becoming Mrs Gerald Haythornewaite in 1937.

The Peak District National Park or the Green Belt around our city would not exist.

Sheffield would today, be a copy of all the other Cities in Britain with the ribbon housing development's along all major and minor roads that eventually connect up with all other smaller communities.

Because the building over of this the land did not take place around Sheffield. Today, and quite correctly, we often take it for granted that it is ours to enjoy.

Hello Gaye

as a child many years ago, I can recall going to the Clarion Club House with my parents. My father played cricket and i'm quite sure the club house was used as a changing room for the players as the cricket pitch was adjacent to the club, but I could be wrong.

Yes there was a cricket team at the club house for many many years , and during the summer a cricket match every weekend weather permitting .

was your father playing in the Clarion team or were you the opposition ?

you are not wrong,part of the club house was used as a changing room . The cricket pitch was in the ajacent field to the club house.

If you enter 'sheffield clarion movement' into yahoo

it will take you to the Sheffield Clarion web site, which although only partly complete, you will find a photo of the club house by clicking on to 'clarion club house '

Hope you find this interesting , if you have any photos or written memories to contribute to this web site please contact me on the private messages