Sheffield Clarion Ramblers

peterw

Hi lisajacko. Thanks for your comments. I remember the stream being partially dammed up to form a so called swimming pool, a lot of the children used to play there whilst the parents did the cricket thing. Also, when we first moved in we were told not to drink water from the stream. It went under the road and up onto the moors towards Houndkirk road and there were occasionally dead sheep found in the stream, hence using the spring. I dont know about the remains of the hard standing but there may have been an outbuilding at some time. The road just above the junction with Sheephill road used to have a sharp bend with a bridge over the stream, this was all reshaped some years after we left. When we lived there there was a police box, like the Dotor Who one, on the corner. I had an accident one summer, it was very hot and there had been a delivery of supplies to sell at the weekend, "pop", crisps etc and it had been in the sun all day. After school I was helping my dad move it to the store room ( the old room with the stage) using a sack barrow to move the crates when some of the bottles of ice-cream soda exploded and gashed my ankles. My dad "ran" to the farm down Hathersage road to get an ambulance. When it came with the police we were told in future we could use the phone in the police box. I finished up in the Childrens hospital getting stitched, I still have the scars. That's all for now....more stories as I remember them.

I have 5 Clarion Ramblers books which were passed down to me years ago by Major Tom Harris of Ashford in the Water, they are the 1930/31, 1931/2, 1934, 1937/38 & 1947/48. The 34 one has the name "Sam Bingham, Derwent" in it.

Hi, mikep, that's really interesting.. Would you mind having a look to see if you could find my grandfather's name in them?? He wrote some articles in the Onward Rambling Club's handbook from about 1930, I would love to be able to find any more he wrote.. The family all say he was involved with the Clarion Ramblers and I believe he was on the Kinder Trespass. His name was G W Womersley.

Thanks very much!!! :) :)

Hi, mikep, that's really interesting.. Would you mind having a look to see if you could find my grandfather's name in them?? He wrote some articles in the Onward Rambling Club's handbook from about 1930, I would love to be able to find any more he wrote.. The family all say he was involved with the Clarion Ramblers and I believe he was on the Kinder Trespass. His name was G W Womersley.

Thanks very much!!! :) :)

Hi carolW, The name Womersley crops up earlier in the thread. There may be something there about any articles he may have written. I have looked through my copies but can,t find anything I'm afraid.

• 5 weeks later...
Hi Meltman, it all seemed a bit like hard work - especially when there was a stream running right through the middle of the land! I don't know about the trough, although there is a stone structure on the right hand side just before the peak park sign, that could be it. It's great to hear your stories and imagine what it used to be like. When we bought the land there was the remnants of an old structure in the top field - on hard standing, so something must have been there originally? By the time we got there it was the remains of a caravan I think! Thanks for the message.

Hi Lisejacko, so much to tell you !! I was at the auction when your father bought the land from the the shareholders of the Clarion Club House which was situated on your land . It was built in 1919/20 and was very popular to a large amout of people through the depression of the 20's and 30's and through the 2nd world war right up to the begining of the 1960's when the motor car took over and people could get further afield.

My family were all involved in the building of the club house , both maternal and paternal grandparents and my mother and father. This was where Mum and Dad met and did their courting !! With your fathers permission I scattered their ashes on the Clarion land , so I can assure you your father is in good company.

To see the full history of the Clarion land there is a web site being constructed by my daughter from all the photos and documents left to me by the family . Enter the following into Yahoo Clarion Movement(not google yet) and it should take you to the web site. Find the home page and click Club house link

I myself went to the club house from being a few weeks old up to around the begining of the 1950's . We stayed there overnight at weekends and I remember staying there for at least a week during the war when Sheffield was being bombed.It is remembered by me and many others as a wonderful place , so many happy memories . I am fortunate enough to live today in Dore and have a view of Blackamore and Houndkirk moor from the back of my house.

I think your father was pulling your leg about the famous people who played cricket there . The cricket field was where you now keep your horses , it was to say the least rather uneven and the fielders had to dodge the cow 'pats' The cows which were owned by the local farmer were the only lawn mowers, except for the actual cricket pitch which was done by a proper lawn mower.

The team that played there were Clarion members and I think they were in some small Sheffield league as there was a match most weekends during the summer.

Do you still have the raspberry canes down by the river below where your stables are? Dad had an allotment there , vegetables have never tasted as good since those days.

Please get in touch through the e-mail address on the Clarion web site I can tell you all the best places to find treasure . Did you know that when the road over the bridge was being altered a bag og gold was found by the workmen under the bridge. To think how many times me and my friends had played there or passed under it on our way up the moors !!

Yes that stone structure was the water trough from which the water was fetched now no dought commandeered by the waterboard no doubt

The top field where you found the remains of a caravan did in the heigh days have 6-8 caravans up there . Suplies of milk and bread etc could be ordered throught the Clarions residential stewards ., and they would have had to use the chemical toilets which the members used . These were emtied by the council every so often. Sounds awful but we are talking about a time when half of Sheffield had chemical toilets at the bottom of their yards/gardens and their housing conditions were appauling.

Hope to hear from you soon

Hi lisajacko. Thanks for your comments. I remember the stream being partially dammed up to form a so called swimming pool, a lot of the children used to play there whilst the parents did the cricket thing. Also, when we first moved in we were told not to drink water from the stream. It went under the road and up onto the moors towards Houndkirk road and there were occasionally dead sheep found in the stream, hence using the spring. I dont know about the remains of the hard standing but there may have been an outbuilding at some time. The road just above the junction with Sheephill road used to have a sharp bend with a bridge over the stream, this was all reshaped some years after we left. When we lived there there was a police box, like the Dotor Who one, on the corner. I had an accident one summer, it was very hot and there had been a delivery of supplies to sell at the weekend, "pop", crisps etc and it had been in the sun all day. After school I was helping my dad move it to the store room ( the old room with the stage) using a sack barrow to move the crates when some of the bottles of ice-cream soda exploded and gashed my ankles. My dad "ran" to the farm down Hathersage road to get an ambulance. When it came with the police we were told in future we could use the phone in the police box. I finished up in the Childrens hospital getting stitched, I still have the scars. That's all for now....more stories as I remember them.

I think you are the gentleman who wrote to me about the time you and your family spent at the club house.I have now included your letter in the web site ( still not quite complete !) but if you are interested in looking you can find it by entering into yahoo 'clarion movement' then Click on 'Sheffield clarion movement' and it will bring you to the home page where you will find a link to the club house and then a link to club house residential stewards.

Or you can also find the web site by entering into google 'homepages.shu.ac.uk/~kfrost4' would be delighted if you would get in touch through the e-mail link on this web site and let me know what you think .Hope the photos you will find here will bring back some pleasant memories .

Hi - those of you interested in the Sheffield Clarion handbooks might like to know that the Moors for the Future project is planning to republish excerpts from the Handbooks as digital audio files that can be downloaded for use on MP3 players and mobile phones, as well as GPS receivers. They should include walk descriptions, poems and songs, and place-name explanations, as well as news about the project. First one is supposed to be due after Easter.

• 1 year later...

Are there any updates on the Clarion Ramblers websites etc please?

My grandfather used to lead some of the walk - I have photos of the walkers in Derbyshire in huge snowdrifts.

Edited by 123456A

Are there any updates on the Clarion Ramblers websites etc please?

My grandfather Charles Albert Wright used to lead some of the walk - I have photos of the walkers in Derbyshire in huge snowdrifts.

there isn't a web site about the clarion ramblers . a full set of the yearly clarion ramblers handbooks can be seen at the central library in Surrey St, in the local studies department on the second floor. these give full details of all the rambles undertaken that particular year, along with the name of the leader of each ramble.

There is also a book called The best of the Sheffield Clarion Ramblers, Handbooks 'Wards Piece' which is in the library .

Hi Lisejacko, so much to tell you !! I was at the auction when your father bought the land from the the shareholders of the Clarion Club House which was situated on your land . It was built in 1919/20 and was very popular to a large amout of people through the depression of the 20's and 30's and through the 2nd world war right up to the begining of the 1960's when the motor car took over and people could get further afield.

My family were all involved in the building of the club house , both maternal and paternal grandparents and my mother and father. This was where Mum and Dad met and did their courting !! With your fathers permission I scattered their ashes on the Clarion land , so I can assure you your father is in good company.

To see the full history of the Clarion land there is a web site being constructed by my daughter from all the photos and documents left to me by the family . Enter the following into Yahoo Clarion Movement(not google yet) and it should take you to the web site. Find the home page and click Club house link

I myself went to the club house from being a few weeks old up to around the begining of the 1950's . We stayed there overnight at weekends and I remember staying there for at least a week during the war when Sheffield was being bombed.It is remembered by me and many others as a wonderful place , so many happy memories . I am fortunate enough to live today in Dore and have a view of Blackamore and Houndkirk moor from the back of my house.

I think your father was pulling your leg about the famous people who played cricket there . The cricket field was where you now keep your horses , it was to say the least rather uneven and the fielders had to dodge the cow 'pats' The cows which were owned by the local farmer were the only lawn mowers, except for the actual cricket pitch which was done by a proper lawn mower.

The team that played there were Clarion members and I think they were in some small Sheffield league as there was a match most weekends during the summer.

Do you still have the raspberry canes down by the river below where your stables are? Dad had an allotment there , vegetables have never tasted as good since those days.

Please get in touch through the e-mail address on the Clarion web site I can tell you all the best places to find treasure . Did you know that when the road over the bridge was being altered a bag og gold was found by the workmen under the bridge. To think how many times me and my friends had played there or passed under it on our way up the moors !!

Yes that stone structure was the water trough from which the water was fetched now no dought commandeered by the waterboard no doubt

The top field where you found the remains of a caravan did in the heigh days have 6-8 caravans up there . Suplies of milk and bread etc could be ordered throught the Clarions residential stewards ., and they would have had to use the chemical toilets which the members used . These were emtied by the council every so often. Sounds awful but we are talking about a time when half of Sheffield had chemical toilets at the bottom of their yards/gardens and their housing conditions were appauling.

Hope to hear from you soon

hiya inreference to the workmen thaat found the gold sovereigns at clarion bridge, i'll tell you how it happend, it was the 27th december 1958 and the coins were found in the wall on the left hand side of the bridge wall, the men were sent to repair it as it was falling down on the inside i seem to think a car had damaged it over christmas when the workmen were taking the loose stones to start rebuilding the wall, under one stone were the coins, (not in a bag but loose there were 98 full sovereigns and 2 half sovereigns. after they were handed over it was returned as treasure trove and the two workmen recieved £ 316 total £158. each how do i know well i was one of the two workmen,the coins were mainly 1800s and one or two early 1900. my mate at the time was ted emmett a bricklayer. it was not when any road works were being done as we were on our own.

Edited by willybite
ammend theCash ammount