What really gets your back up about SF members?

When you say "we", do you actually mean 'I'? Or are you taking it upon yourself to apply your sentiments to everyone and speak on behalf of everyone else? Which incidentally also gets my goat.

In this instance I'm quite confident that my view is shared by others, but you can think of it as the Royal 'we' if it makes you feel any better.

Posters with less experience of life thinking that they know everything and that they are the only age group that should have an opinion, let alone state it on here.

Posters with less experience of life thinking that they know everything and that they are the only age group that should have an opinion, let alone state it on here.

Yeah them religious types annoy me too.

---------- Post added 15-03-2013 at 11:02 ----------

Or maybe they just won't tolerate people trying to promote racial hatred or something.

Dont do it then.

I think that some of the moderation is very officious at times - and I'm not referring specifically to my own experiences - but I sometimes see the tone of some of the communications between some moderators (not all btw - I think some are excellent) and I just think it's pretty bad form. I think it's fine and necessary to have firm moderation and good standards - but you can exercise that without talking down to people or using threatening tones.

I run another messageboard which is to do with football specifically. We get all kinds of heated things going on on there, but I've always found that people respond better to a polite intervention than being publicly told off or addressed like they are some kind of imbecile.

If anyone on here has ever studied something called "Transactional Analysis" they will be familiar with the following model of communication:

Adult

Parent

Child

It suggests that we all adopt one of these positions when communicating with others. The ideal is Adult/Adult. But problems occur with other combinations. My observation is that we get a lot of Child/Child interactions between contributors on here and a fair bit of Parent/Child reaction from the mods. Worth thinking about - if you understand it that is!;)

I should have added that none of this really gets up my back, or whatever the phrase was that was used by the OP. I've come to realise that people use this forum for all kinds of reasons and some of them appear to be deeply unhappy about their lot in general, so they come on here looking for a fight or a disagreement about anything really. I wouldn't allow them the satisfaction of irritating me tbh.

Archived