High speed rail link & the North, South devide..

Supporters of the HS2 rail link have said that it will help bridge the North, South divide but is that a good thing?? Do we really need to bridge the gap between our beautiful green north and the smokey, over populated, over priced, arrogant, yuppie filled South?

Personally I would prefer as much distance between the North and the South (or London) as possible!

Supporters of the HS2 rail link have said that it will help bridge the North, South divide but is that a good thing?? Do we really need to bridge the gap between our beautiful green north and the smokey, over populated, over priced, arrogant, yuppie filled South?

Personally I would prefer as much distance between the North and the South (or London) as possible!

It’s bad because it will allow the rich Londoners to buy houses up north which will force prices higher. :)

It’s bad because it will allow the rich Londoners to buy houses up north which will force prices higher. :)

I think it's a myth that Londoners' are all rich. Yes, It's a big place with more opportunities, but it's very expensive place to live too.

I think it's a myth that Londoners' are all rich. Yes, It's a big place with more opportunities, but it's very expensive place to live too.

Sorry I wasn’t implying they are all rich; many in London live in poverty, but when it’s easier to travel from north to south it will give them the opportunity to sell their house and buy a better house for less up north, this will drive prices up here and be a bad thing for the people that works and live up north.

Few rich Londoners exist and even fewer will risk life north of Walford Gap,given the cultural divide,poor education and other perceived disadvantages.Most rich Londoners are buying homes in Poland and Romania.

Most people in London are much worse off than people up here.

The cost of living is sky high, the cost of rent would make your eyes water.

We can't let on how much better we're having it up here, they might flood the place :-O

The cost of living is sky high, the cost of rent would make your eyes water.

I spoke with a woman the other day at work, who is paying £888 pcm for a single room in a shared house. This was in Highgate, North London - not even Zone 1.

It's unbelievable really.

Few rich Londoners exist and even fewer will risk life north of Walford Gap,given the cultural divide,poor education and other perceived disadvantages.Most rich Londoners are buying homes in Poland and Romania.

Last line sounds like twaddle to me.

But most major investment is in the south east of England. It's where there is more money and innovation. If hs2 drags Sheffield (and Leeds and Manchester) closer to London so much the better.

Archived