Privatisation of n h s

What worries me is some of the people who work for the NHS and we've all read about them - I think something needs tightening up there.

I never hear of private hospitals having neglected patients.

Some people are afraid of having to go into NHS hospitals, it's so sad.

What worries me is some of the people who work for the NHS and we've all read about them - I think something needs tightening up there.

I never hear of private hospitals having neglected patients.

Some people are afraid of having to go into NHS hospitals, it's so sad.

Yes you do hear about people in private care being neglected.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-95490/Mother-twins-neglected-private-hospital.html

Over the past few years if you read Private Eye you will have seen examples of it. And the problem with private hospitals is that they are even more unaccountable than the NHS.

As for the people that work in the NHS? Private hospitals don't generally train doctors and nurses. The people working in the private hospitals will have been mostly trained by the NHS.

Back on the NHS wards though, if a doctor only has 5 minutes to spend with a patient when he should have 15 minutes, or a ward only has 3 nurses when it should have 5, then any problems arising from that are not the fault of the individual doctors or nurses but of the system itself.

The NHS is a massive organisation. Not everybody who works for it will be perfect or competent. The NHS needs better processes to get rid of the bad 'uns, and it also needs to be more open to criticism. There have been disgraceful recent stories about whistleblowers being harrassed, having their reputations destroyed etc... simply for wanting to highlight bad care in the NHS. That has to stop. Everything has to be out in the open. If there is a complaint to be made it needs to be made. Knowing all the bad bits about the service is truly the only way to improve it. You have to know what the real problems are before you try and fix them.

from my own point of view as a support worker we do care and respect the people i look after and do all my fellow co workers , have even shed tears when a client has slipped away yet we are not supposed to get attached , i love my job am proud to be part of the n h s and would not like to see that taken away.

So where were you when Labour started doing this in 2006? What action did you take then?

When this is all done and dusted and when the system has been torn apart, degraded, delivers poor outcomes for an ever increasing cost while feeding massive profits to corporates (many of which won't even be British) then all the parties will have to explain to the public why they did it.

There can really only be one fundamental answer and that is they're all in the pay of the corporates.

from my own point of view as a support worker we do care and respect the people i look after and do all my fellow co workers , have even shed tears when a client has slipped away yet we are not supposed to get attached , i love my job am proud to be part of the n h s and would not like to see that taken away.

You obviously care greatly about your job and the people you care for. I'm come accross carers but state and private who were good and some who were quite dreadful. You aren't going to stop caring just because there is a different name on the uniform are you ? Of course not - and if you are good at your job the new company coming in wont want to rock the boat. They might put a rocket up those who aren't as good though. I hope they improve the service as whole - isn't that what everyone wants ?

You obviously care greatly about your job and the people you care for. I'm come accross carers but state and private who were good and some who were quite dreadful. You aren't going to stop caring just because there is a different name on the uniform are you ? Of course not - and if you are good at your job the new company coming in wont want to rock the boat. They might put a rocket up those who aren't as good though. I hope they improve the service as whole - isn't that what everyone wants ?

What makes you think that?

This is business. Private compaines are being brought in to provide a service. It doesn't have to be a good service or a better service than before. It simply has to be the service they are contracted to provide.

What makes you think that?

This is business. Private compaines are being brought in to provide a service. It doesn't have to be a good service or a better service than before. It simply has to be the service they are contracted to provide.

Surely there some sorts of targets to be made ? Checks and balances ? Otherwise they could just take the money, lay everyone off and take the money. Who over sees it all ? Who, and why was it passed onto the private sector ?

I think you've got a point tbh...but why would these companies be necessary if the NHS was capable of running it's own affairs efficiently?

A comparison to British gas could be made here, why did that need to be privatised.? and what is the result.? hundreds dying a year because people can now not afford to heat their homes :huh:

A comparison to British gas could be made here, why did that need to be privatised.? and what is the result.? hundreds dying a year because people can now not afford to heat their homes :huh:

I think energy companies rip us constantly, but the wholesale gas price is what it is and I don't for a second think we'd be paying dramatically less if it was state unless heavily subsidised.

Was gas mega cheap 30 years ago ? I recall the panic in my father when the thermostat was moved and the frown when he opened the bill. Can anyone recall what percentage of earnings went on gas back then ?

Archived