Privatisation of n h s

Surely there some sorts of targets to be made ? Checks and balances ? Otherwise they could just take the money, lay everyone off and take the money. Who over sees it all ? Who, and why was it passed onto the private sector ?

You tell me.

I want to see the evidence that clinical outcomes will be better in the private sector, what the targets are, how private providers will be held accountable, what will happen if they don't hit targets, how complaints will be managed and dealt with etc...

There isn't any evidence of this or info on it. It hasn't be done before in the UK on the proposed scale, or using the business/comissioning models that have been introduced.

It's an experiment. It might work. It's unlikely to.

Remember, A4E are a private sector provider in another arena.

1. Do they provide a service? - yes they do

2. Do they provide a good service? - perhaps in some areas they do but they also kop a lot of criticism

3. Do they hit their targets? They struggle it seems.

4. Do they take the money. Yes!

---------- Post added 16-03-2013 at 13:20 ----------

I think energy companies rip us constantly, but the wholesale gas price is what it is and I don't for a second think we'd be paying dramatically less if it was state unless heavily subsidised.

But there's a likelihood it would be less.

The NHS in its present form is unsustainable.

The very rich don't use it so don't care.

The very poor and disadvantaged who have to use it have no political voice since Liebor threw them away have voice and are not cared about.

Those in the middle who do care and have no alternative are about to be royally stuffed.

Within a few years we will all have to pay for insurance based healthcare on top of the taxes to support an increasingly failing "national" health service.

As a final point if the provision of NHS services depends on your postcode why can't I pay less tax on the same basis - lower health service, lower tax.

The NHS in its present form is unsustainable.

The very rich don't use it so don't care.

The very poor and disadvantaged who have to use it have no political voice since Liebor threw them away have voice and are not cared about.

Those in the middle who do care and have no alternative are about to be royally stuffed.

Within a few years we will all have to pay for insurance based healthcare on top of the taxes to support an increasingly failing "national" health service.

As a final point if the provision of NHS services depends on your postcode why can't I pay less tax on the same basis - lower health service, lower tax.

It needs to move with the times for sure. It can never stand still because what it needs to do and the way it needs to do it changes all the time. New illnesses, medical breakthroughs, new medicines, obesity, aging population all impact what it has to do. The medical landscape now is really quite different to what it was 30 years ago, and you know you could even have said the same thing about it being unsustainable 30-40 years ago, even before the idea of privatising it en masse was politically acceptable.

The bottom line it the NHS is never sustainable in whatever present form it has because the next shift in its objectives is always pressingly urgent.

So i would ask if it is basically always unsustainable and constantly needing to flex then how is locking into 5-10-15 year service contracts with private companies based on today's needs going to help the NHS remain flexible and responsive in the future?

• 3 weeks later...

The Banking Standards Commission has said of 'sir' James Crosby today that he (along with two other executives at HBOS) were guilty of a 'colossal failure' of management, and were largely to blame for the bank's collapse, and that financial regulators should consider banning all three from future roles in the financial sector. This was the scandal that cost UK taxpayers £20.5 billion (that's £20,500,000,000).

Crosby left HBOS, and is now on the board of Bridgepoint Capital, the private equity company behind Care UK. Is this who we want to look after our most vulnerable?

---------- Post added 05-04-2013 at 20:16 ----------

In 2011 Alan Milburn was getting frustrated with the tories, who he thought were not being quick enough with their privatisation of the NHS. 'Get on with it' was Mr Milburn's demand.

As Secretary of State for Health, Milburn introduced the NHS Foundation trusts, seen as a halfway house between the public and private sectors within Primary Care Trusts.

Mr Milburn is now on the board of Bridgepoint Capital, the company set to profit from the privatisation of the NHS, and due to take over the 'supported living' contracts in Rotherham, Doncaster and Humberside, as bobbyblade pointed out as he opened this thread.

These 'politicians' are all at it!

Archived