Little corner shop the junction of woodbourn road and staniforth road

anyone remember this shop?. my mother used to send me there around 1955 to around 1960.........."me mam ses can she have 2 eggs and a quater of margerine and 5 woodbines please till friday".she always had intentions of paying, but somehow our name would always find its way in the window!.anyone who lived down " the cliffe" around this time will understand what im talking about.

I can remember a corner shop on the corner of Ripon street near Bowen Street, think it was called Lakins, I always used to go for a custard and my mams bread, I remember when the circus was on the rec, I would ask for my Mams laof then go feed it to the elephants.

do you remember a shop on ripon street which used to make paper flowers?.

if i remember correctly the shop you are talking about was a beer offlicence and a couple of shops further up staniforth road was a second hand shop a couple of blokes ran it but they were tight gits remember our neighbour sold his car to them a ford consul they only gave him £20 for it as soon as he left they priced it up at £30 and sold it same day and the car was t&t i thin320 in 1964 was a lot of money

if i remember correctly the shop you are talking about was a beer offlicence and a couple of shops further up staniforth road was a second hand shop a couple of blokes ran it but they were tight gits remember our neighbour sold his car to them a ford consul they only gave him £20 for it as soon as he left they priced it up at £30 and sold it same day and the car was t&t i thin320 in 1964 was a lot of money

think that second hand shop was on the corner of the other steet past Woodbourn RD going up staniforth rd, near old jennings shop before they moved Still see them two who you think owned the shop, the small gent of the two ran the shop the other one worked for him

if my memory serves me right didnt those two fellas had weired haircuts they were the stepto&son of woodbourne also does anyone remember the boys brigade on the back of woodbourne road i was a member of that sometimes marching at easter wearing a white sash belt across my chest felt so proud mind you i was only13 at the time

yes we lived on ripon street just round the corner there was also a shop across the road on the opposite corner called Newboulds I think. I used to go in there with my mates, they distracted him and I took a couple of those empty tall pasteurised milk bottles with a penny back on the bottle then go back later to return the bottles and get the tuppence back. The old man caught me at it one day and gave me a right clip and bared me from the shop but me mam went round and had a go at him for hitting me......

---------- Post added 29-03-2013 at 17:08 ----------

does anyone remember the wet fish shop just along Woodbourne road from that corner shop, owned by people called Boldocks, they had racing greyhounds

Archived