Song Memories Growing Up In Sheffield!

old tup

When I think back to my youth certain songs spark memories both good and bad,I wonder if this applies to Sheffield posters out there.For instance one triggers memories not so good,I had just broke up an intense relationship with a girl after 3 years.I thought of myself as Jack the Lad 20yrs old the world full of women waiting for me!.It was Friday night at the Fleur de Lis I was well oiled with my mates it was hot in the pub so one of my mates and I went outside for a smoke,just then a song came drifting outside from the juke box,Frank Ifield "I remember you",for no reason I felt so low and miserable I nearly broke down.My pal was so ****** he never noticed a good job or I would never have heard the end of it,has anyone had an experiance like this?,it still comes back to me after 50yrs every time I hear the song!.:confused::huh::(

• 4 months later...

Mine would have to be 'Soul Deep' by the 'Box Tops'.

Mid '69 just split after an 18 month engagement. Gave her the single as a parting gift. She walked away but by the end of the year, which was too late, she'd changed her mind. By that time I'd moved on and met my future wife and, 40+ years later, I've no regrets. Strange how fate plays its part in life. Hopefully we've both had happy and fulfilling lives.

echo.

I always feel acutely embarrassed when I think of Frankie Lanes song Jezebel.

On a works coach trip with my Mom and Dad around 1950 I decided to give everyone my own solo rendition of this song, I remember it ending in a sort of stunned silence which gradually returned to normal conversation...

Even now thinking about it I wont to curl up into a ball and hide ....

Archived